What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bought an VFT with some others...

I went to lowes and i saw a big terranium or cube whatever and in it was an sundew a pitcher plant and a VFT I have a few questions... . 1. Should I repot them? 2.If I need to do it now should i try to seperate them or will they be okay staying together? and 3. What soil mix should I use? thanks.

P.S. i bought an purple pitcher plant to it was by itself in one cube should i replant that and if i do what soil mix?

In my experience, if you are extremely careful with your plants, they are definitely better off being repotted in the long run into their own or bigger containers.  The ones from Lowes (from BugBitingPlants) are usually crammed together with long-fibered sphagnum with some peat moss.  The cubes have no drainage and only a slit for air circulation separated by a plastic film.  

If you're new at this, I would suggest taking the pitcher plant (Darlingtonia)out and put it into its own pot and maybe leave the sundew (D. adelae most likely) in.  The high humidity should keep the sundew happy for a while and then you can slowly adjust it to another container.  For flytraps, I take them straight out and they grow fine without going into much shock. The purple pitcher plant as well. I'd use normal 1:1 peat/perlite or peat/sand mix. Heck, I've used plain peat or peat/sphagnum and they work just as fine.

Despite all the bad press about these death cubes, I find them really useful for growing species that enjoy high humidity and waterlogged conditions.

well the pitcher plant crammed with the other 2 is an purple pitcher plant not an cobra lily and earlier i put holes in the bottom of both the cubes and put them in an tray of water

those are from bug biting plants! i have wanted to order from them!
alex

Still the cube is at most 2 inches or so in depth if i remember correctly, so giving the pitcher plant more room to stretch its roots is probably a good idea. Heh..maybe you can use the deeper cover as the pot and drill holes in that.

ok but that soil mix u gave earlier is that for all the CPS i mention?

^yes, with some tweeks if you prefer. Purple pitcher plants may enjoy more LFS and I've heard D. adelae does well in it too.

ok i have BEGGED my mom for one but i dont have a shovel will it be ok if done with the hand?

yes, rinse them and then git dirtaayyy....as delicately as possible, of course

oh and a disposable spoon helps too

after i repot it should i give it superthrive?

Nope, there's no need. I find Superthrive does nothing for carnivorous plants. It doesn't even do anything for normal plants either in my experience!

Back