Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Bought A Flytrap Yesterday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spending a day or two in potting soil likely wont hurt the plant..
    thats not a long enough time to do serious damage.
    but get it into pure peat asap!

just use pure peat moss for now..no need to bother with sand or perlite.
    as you gain more experience, you can mess around with other soil mixes if you want, but for starting out, pure peat only is simple, easy, and will work fine.

Go to the grocery store and get a few gallons of *distilled* water..
    make sure it has that word on the jug! *distilled*.

again, later on, as you gain experience and knowledge you can try collection rain water or getting a reverse osmosis unit if you need it.
    but for immediate success, you cant go wrong with basic peat moss and dstilled water.

rinse off ALL the old potting soil from the roots!
    its ok to rinse it under a faucet of tap water for this.
    then pot it in the pure peat moss.
    put the pot in a tray of the distilled water, and keep the tray filled.
    put the plant outdoors, in bright, direct sunlight.
    yes, the leaves might burn at first, but thats ok.
    (see this thread about leaf burn)

sunburn thread

getting DIRECT light is more important in the long-run than short-term leaf burn.

and thats it!
    if you do those three simple things.
    1. peat moss.
    2. distilled water.
    3. bright, direct sun, outdoors.

your VFT will be happy and healthy!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping that the stuff that it was already potted in is helping it to survive and seperating it from the nasty potting soil hehe. Definately going out today to buy peat moss though.

You guys have helped me way more than I could have imagined! I feel the love. <3

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the discussion forums! One thing that will take some getting used to is that there will be some variety to approaches and most (if not all) will be valid. For soil, you can buy a bag of sphagnum peat (2.5 cubic ft) and or perlite and or the dried LFS (long fibred sphagnum moss), and or sand. There is much debate as to whether play sand or all purpose sand is acceptable. I just go to a pool supply place and get a 50 lb bag and I know that's safe. As for water, distilled, RO (reverse osmosis), deionized, and rainwater are acceptable. When I worked at a lab, I had all the free deionized water I wanted. I amno longer spoiled. Many people buy the gallon jugs of distilled water from any grocery store or Walmart and many collect rainwater. Now I collect rainwater. Once your plant is showing new growth, it would be wise to stage it outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sphagnum peat or chanadian sphagnum peat...NO SEDGE PEAT! try to buy shultz brand. i dont think they have fertilizers in it. scotts=bad and miracle grow=worse! just wait you are going to be addicted to these things. it all starts with a VFT usually then a butterwort or sundew, then sarracenia and ultimately...the mighty Nepenthes!
    good luck
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Krakilin,
    Someone on the forum said to always buy the peat in the large bales as it was packaged on site as opposed to being sent through a plant that processed many types of potting soil. I think it was Bugweed, but I'm not sure. What I can tell you for sure is that in my experience with Schultz and Scotts brands, I have found slow release fertilizer in small quantities in both brands. I would avoid them and, as Jimscott suggested, get the sphagnum peat in the bales (large plastic bag of compressed sphagnum peat moss). It's usually cheaper this way also.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought another venus fly trap today and a pitcher plant at Lowe's! I love that place, so much better than Walmart's garden section hahah.

I also bought Scotts Sphagnum Peat Moss and MiracleGro Perlite. After I potted the new venus fly trap with the old one, I looked closer at the Perlite bag and saw "enhanced with plant food" :\ I shouldn't of bothered with perlite but whatever, it's better than that potting soil that I was using!

Edit: I feel like I'm hogging the forum.. ill just stop posting in this thread :P

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Krakilin @ May 31 2006,7:50)]...I looked closer at the Perlite bag and saw "enhanced with plant food" :\ I shouldn't of bothered with perlite but whatever, it's better than that potting soil that I was using!

Edit: I feel like I'm hogging the forum.. ill just stop posting in this thread :P
    The "enhanced with plant food" means it's had fertilizer added to it, so it's just as deadly for your VFT as the old potting soil you were using. If you used it in the new soil mix for your VFT, you need to repot them again using straight sphagnum peat.

Oh, keep posting. Ain't no rule against posting; long as they aren't monosyllabic (one syllable long) .
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BCK:where can you buy these bales from?
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast