Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Bought A Flytrap Yesterday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all. I bought one of those $5 Venus Flytrap deals from Walmart yesterday and have been researching alot since I got it. I have two questions that I cannot find the answers to and would greatly appreciate if you folks could help me out.

1) I repotted it using EarthGro Potting Soil mix, can the plant survive in that? Is it worth buying peat moss this late in the game?

2) It's been a over a day since I've repotted them and most of them are still closed. I assume this is because they're in shock from the repotting but is it normal for them to take that long to reopen?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you definately may want to put it in a low nutrient mix such as pure peat moss or a mix of 1:1 mix of peat and perlite (which i use other people may have other mixes). Venus flytraps are adapted to low nutrient, acidic soil, putting one in a regular potting soil mix could endanger it's health. So, it's definately worth buying peat moss!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it will take a couple days for them to reopen also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Krakilin, welcome to the forums!

No, you cannot use that potting soil! You need to get some peat moss ASAP and repot them in that. If you can, add half perlite or white sand. Flytraps are easy to grow, but you have to keep them in low-nutrient soil - the opposite of that potting soil!

Then, just give them tons of light and pure rainwater or distilled water and they'll be fine.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, distiled water, and in a Dish. About an Inch of water, allow it to dry out but Imediatly fill it back up, never let the soil dry out! If you buy gallon jugs just be sure to not use those kinds that have minerals added to them. Just look for Pure REverse osmosis water. Or distiled water.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I went to the nearest store after I bought it and the best thing I saw there was Springfield Purified Water so I bought 2 gallons. Pretty sure it's the same thing.. I hope :P

Gunna have to wait until tommorow to get the peat moss and stuff though.. hope they survive the night!

You guys are really helpful though, thanks alot!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Krakilin, just so you know, and will know what may happen, you may have already killed the plant by putting it in that fertilized wonderful mix for petunias or lobelia, but never VFT's. Also be warned, purified water IS NOT distilled, rainwater, or reverse osmosis water. It may yet contain mineral salts that could kill the VFT. They ARE easy to grow, but you absolutely have to learn that some things cannot be considered "just as good as" when absolutes have been given to you. Straight peat moss works fine with a VFT. Sand isn't necessary, but can be used. Avoid perlite like its a disease! Messy stuff. Gets everywhere and into everything. Otherwise, change everything for your plant first thing or you may find yourself buying another VFT soon from wherever you got it.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purified water isn't always the same as low-mineral water. Many 'pure' waters are just bottled tap water that's been run through a sediment filter, sometimes with salt added for taste. Unless it says distilled, reverse osmosis, or deionized, it's probably just your local tap water doctored to taste better. It might take a little searching, but it will be worth your time to find a good source of water. Some stores have reverse osmosis filters and sell the water in bulk, which is usually the cheapest option.
    If you're really lucky, your tap water may be useable by itself - you can call your local utility company for a report on water quality. If the total dissolved solids (TDS) count is low enough (I believe 100 parts per million is adequate, and the less the better) then it should work for CPs. Of course, if your pipes are really old or poorly plumbed, the water reaching your home may have a higher TDS rating than the water at the pump station, but you can always get a kit to test it.
    All in all though, as your profile says you're in San Diego, I wouldn't count on the municipal water being especially pure. On the bright side, San Diego is a big town, so there's surely a place where you can buy good water. There's lots of San Diego folks here on the forums, so I'm sure someone can tell you where to go. Another option is to just buy a reverse osmosis unit for your home - you can find good ones on eBay for $80 or so. It's kind of pricey, but in a little over a year of CP growing I've easily spent twice that on water, if not more. Plus having a filter in house is just convenient. If you look in the greenhouse forum there are a few threads on RO filters and where to get them.
    Welcome to the forums, by the way.
    Best luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast