What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TC Akai Ryu

Cindy

Staff member
First, they arrived like this. The plants were distributed to growers involved in the 'VFT "Red Dragon" Competition'.
tcvft260306.jpg

I've got two plants and acclimatised them using just perlite and tap water. Here they are at 2 weeks ex-vitro.
dragon2.jpg

dragon1.jpg

Here they are at 2 months ex-vitro.
akairyu1rs.jpg

akairyu2rs.jpg

Recently, there were mutilple offshoots from each plant. I removed a clump and there were 9 offshoots, each with a root intact. They are all placed in ICU (a.k.a. live sphagnum moss box) until they are large enough to be potted. Each trap is only 2-3 mm wide. It's been 4 days and all offshoots are well and alive.

Throughout, the plants are under 55W PLL lights. I have yet placed them out under the sun.

Throw them out in the sun. They are just like Sarrs they'll take whatever you throw at them. They love the full sun and I bet they would bounce back really quick. I wouldn't even worry about acclimating them to the outdoors (from my experience).

I have a question about your straight perlite technique. How long does it stay moist? Does it dry out as quick as straight pete or does it take longer to dry out. I'm growing a lot of vegetable seedlings in my grow chamber and the biggest pain is keeping their soil from drying out. Pete just dries out too quickly
smile_k_ani_32.gif

eeeekk , I'm melting ! That's the sound of TC VFT's screaming in the sun right before they turn to dust. You gotta remember that these little guys are gonna take a while to get acclimated to being out of a flask. Newly formed roots and leaves are used to 100 % humidity and diffuse light. They look great Cindy. What kind of a contest are you in ? Maybe I just missed it ... How long do you think you'll wait till they get some real sun though ? Are they growing slower than say a leaf pull cutting ?

Outsiders71 put your veggies in that evil soil that has fertilizer mixed up in it already. Peat will need more attention for flower and veggie seeds than you want to give it.(Or me for that matter !)

I received a batch of VFT's several weeks ago and began an acclimation process inside for a few days. Then I moved them to the front porch, where they had some sun, but not a lot, for another few days. Then I moved them to their permanent home, in full sun. Then they reacted and I would say that most of their leaves turned black. No plants have been lost, but even my attempt to acclimate fell short.

Cindy, I think that the makers of Perlite oughta put your picture on the bag!
smile_m_32.gif

Cindy,
Your doing something right or your plants wouldn't be doing so well. They look great! I'm with Chris on acclimating them. Take your time doing it. Better to take your time and do it right than to rush the job and kill the plants.

Where did the plants come from and what competition?
They look nice. I wouldnt put them outside for quite a wile.
Stephen

First, I must say that I was most amazed that tissue-cultured plants came in plastic bags. Second, they are surprisely easy to acclimatise. The competition is held in Singapore, courtesy of a collector from Taiwan. He goes all over the world to collect plant species to fulfill his dream of a personal botanical garden full of exotic plants.

For me, the perlite does not dry out that readily. I am in 60-90% RH year round, so that helps a lot.

The plants are barely 1.5" across so they will still be under the lights for a while more.

<span style='color:black'>Yes, folks. I was in that competition too.
Growing fine under lights.

TC Akai Ryu is great! I dont need to worry about its dormancy. WAHAHA...
laugh.gif

*Jeff, not in green please.  
smile_m_32.gif
</span>

Btw Jeff, share your experience in acclimatising them, your media and conditions here. I am sure the rest would be eager to find out.

Who knows, the next trend would be to buy TC VFTs in bulk!
laugh.gif

Sure sure CIndy
Hehe...

My experience on handle TC Akai Ryu. At first they seem rootless and i got the soil media (Moss and Perlite mix) from one of the members. I sealed the pot with a clear plastic cover and put them under PL 55W. One month later i decide to leave it open. now they grow strong and red!
smile_n_32.gif

reddraogn.jpg

Sorrry the pic is not that clear

Back