Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TC Akai Ryu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, they arrived like this. The plants were distributed to growers involved in the 'VFT "Red Dragon" Competition'.

I've got two plants and acclimatised them using just perlite and tap water. Here they are at 2 weeks ex-vitro.

Here they are at 2 months ex-vitro.

Recently, there were mutilple offshoots from each plant. I removed a clump and there were 9 offshoots, each with a root intact. They are all placed in ICU (a.k.a. live sphagnum moss box) until they are large enough to be potted. Each trap is only 2-3 mm wide. It's been 4 days and all offshoots are well and alive.

Throughout, the plants are under 55W PLL lights. I have yet placed them out under the sun.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Throw them out in the sun. They are just like Sarrs they'll take whatever you throw at them. They love the full sun and I bet they would bounce back really quick. I wouldn't even worry about acclimating them to the outdoors (from my experience).

I have a question about your straight perlite technique. How long does it stay moist? Does it dry out as quick as straight pete or does it take longer to dry out. I'm growing a lot of vegetable seedlings in my grow chamber and the biggest pain is keeping their soil from drying out. Pete just dries out too quickly .
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eeeekk , I'm melting ! That's the sound of TC VFT's screaming in the sun right before they turn to dust. You gotta remember that these little guys are gonna take a while to get acclimated to being out of a flask. Newly formed roots and leaves are used to 100 % humidity and diffuse light. They look great Cindy. What kind of a contest are you in ? Maybe I just missed it ... How long do you think you'll wait till they get some real sun though ? Are they growing slower than say a leaf pull cutting ?

Outsiders71 put your veggies in that evil soil that has fertilizer mixed up in it already. Peat will need more attention for flower and veggie seeds than you want to give it.(Or me for that matter !)
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received a batch of VFT's several weeks ago and began an acclimation process inside for a few days. Then I moved them to the front porch, where they had some sun, but not a lot, for another few days. Then I moved them to their permanent home, in full sun. Then they reacted and I would say that most of their leaves turned black. No plants have been lost, but even my attempt to acclimate fell short.

Cindy, I think that the makers of Perlite oughta put your picture on the bag!

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy,
    Your doing something right or your plants wouldn't be doing so well. They look great! I'm with Chris on acclimating them. Take your time doing it. Better to take your time and do it right than to rush the job and kill the plants.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did the plants come from and what competition?
    They look nice. I wouldnt put them outside for quite a wile.
    Stephen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I must say that I was most amazed that tissue-cultured plants came in plastic bags. Second, they are surprisely easy to acclimatise. The competition is held in Singapore, courtesy of a collector from Taiwan. He goes all over the world to collect plant species to fulfill his dream of a personal botanical garden full of exotic plants.

For me, the perlite does not dry out that readily. I am in 60-90% RH year round, so that helps a lot.

The plants are barely 1.5" across so they will still be under the lights for a while more.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, folks. I was in that competition too.
    Growing fine under lights.

TC Akai Ryu is great! I dont need to worry about its dormancy. WAHAHA...

*Jeff, not in green please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast