Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: akai ryu and seeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The text simply states that it is an "all red seedling". That is good, because the "all red" determination was made after observing the seedling. The same batch of seed may have produced many typical-looking plants.

The text did not say it was a Red Dragon or even a Red Dragon seedling.

The only point that I would criticize is the filename of the image:
    DionaeaRedDrag.jpg
    If indeed the photo is of a Red Dragon seedling, and not a clone of Red Dragon, that should be made clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]What is the cultivar description of a red dragon? Red leaves and traps? No green? How can it not match then? I'm not really gonna get into it.
    Only under ideal condition does Red Dragon look completely red, other times having clear green margins. There are other clones that look indifferential from Red Dragon at various times throughout the year. Someone with say a Royal Red and Green Dragon would be miffed if they bought or traded a Red Dragon with someone, but it turned out to be something they already had as the buyer had called it Red Dragon just because it was a red VFT.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if the DNA is not the same, then it's not Red Dragon. it's really that simple.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 01 2006,8:13)]if the DNA is not the same, then it's not Red Dragon. it's really that simple.
    Sounds good on paper but DNA fingerprinting is exspensive. Not something the common Joe could afford to do on the plants in his collection to verify their authenticity. Not that it woould do them much good in this case as there has not (to my knowledge) been a DNA fingerprint done of D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'. So you'd have nothing to compare results to. The second twist to this is that according to the ICPS, if it matches the description of the 'type' plant then it can be called that. If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and quacks like a duck then it's a duck.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cp_productos,

If and when u decide 2 give away some seeds, send some my way and I'll call them anything u want me 2!!! I really don't want any seeds though, and I agree with Bob Z. Just be honest and say the seeds are a cross of whatever two cultivars you used.
    there is a pleasure in being mad, which only a madman can enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BCK- that's not really what i meant

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 02 2006,8:57)]BCK- that's not really what i meant
    Could you explain, please? I'm not sure what you ment otherwise.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's not practical to have a DNA analysis on a VFT. if the plant looks EXACTLY the same and is given to you as green dragon (or whatever) from a reliable (there are people i woudn't trade with no matter what plant they had or how rare it is) source hen the DNA is the same, since it is a cultivar,(especially if you can trace the plant's owners) and then you can say it's a green dragon.

for example, if i bought a VFT from wal-mart and it looks exactly like a green dragon, but is not labeled, i can't say or assume that's what it is. sure it's similar but the DNA could be different. if it is labeled as a green dragon and looks exactly like one, then it's ok to say it's a green dragon (even though chain-stores aren't great for labeling their plants, lets assume this wal-mart is)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast