Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok newbie here, advice please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey everyone
    i found this forums through wikipedia

Well i want a venus fly trap, i am planning to buy one (they sell small ones in B&Q)

I am in london england by the way

I was wondering if it is ok to keep my fly trap indoors? I was thinking of keeping it actually by my PC, or in my room. But i was wondering if this will be ok in terms of lighting, heat etc. Will it survive ok?

I have been reading up on basics such as distilled water and stuff, but i am a big beginner so help/advice woul dbe much appriciated thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    read the vft care sheet at the top of the page
    that will help a lot
    then if you have any Q's ask
    good luck
    Nothing to do at the office but play with bug eating plants!!!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!. Distilled, rain, RO. deionized water is appropriate for them. However, VFT's are really an outdoor plant, particularly during the growing season (now). They need all the light they can get and artificial lighting is inferior to direct sunlight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you just want a cool desk plant then yeah you COULD grow VFT's indoors next to your PC. You just have to make sure you have a powerfull light on them that wont burn them.

Like everyone else said, they do best outdoors in nice full sun. But they will survive desk life if given enough light.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add that they DO need their dormant period or they will weaken and die.

Tom
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a few years, maybie. The most I have seen anyone take a VFT without dormancy was 3 years and even then it looked very strong.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

I'm a relative newbie at growing carnivorous plants, too. I bought two this year (one is really two plants squished into one pot, I suppose I'll have to separate them next spring) and have kept them indoors.

At first I did not give them much sunlight because of the instructions I was given by the man who sold them, but their new growth was big and leafy but very small traps that never opened. After a few weeks I decided to give them more sunlight, and after doing so they started looking much more like the pictures of flytraps I was used to, with fully developed traps.

Now I keep them on a windowsill that gets a lot of sunlight, and now that it is summer I set them outside on sunny days to get as much light as possible. So far they are growing beautifully, and even attracting a few unlucky insects.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iris: Welcome to TF! 3 years ago I rekindled the notion of growing CP's, after killing every one of them, over the years. I was walking through a Home Depot and saw an array of VFT's and just couldn't resist. And then I made a personal vow to do whatever it took to keep them alive for more than 3 months. I placed this plant in a tall, plastic peretzel container and had it sitting in some deionized water, at a window sill in the labin which I worked. Within 2 months the traps grew from 1/2" to 1". 5 months later I joined the discussion forum and learned about the concept of dormancy. I took a rather circuitous route to providing dormancy (between storm & inside windows, screened in porch, and finally the butter keeper of our fridge), but when March rolled around, I took it out of the fridge and brought it back to work and then to the cold, drafty window sill. Finally, I took it outside and a few weeks later the plant rewarded me with a flower.

Two things I strongly recommend - outdoor sunlight and dormancy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast