Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Signs of overwatering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your plants don't appear unhealthy. I occasionally get the black trap problem, but I bet your plants will sort themselves out in a few weeks if left undisturbed.

Over watering will just increase the chances of rot setting in, but it shouldn't do that alone.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SpyCspider @ July 06 2006,12:43)]It's misleading to see new growth coming out, since they often reach about one-half the height of the full leaf, turn black, and then die and I'm still left with one or 2 traps. What gives?
    Most of your plants look quite fine. For these plants you are having trouble with something sounds amiss. They shouldn't be losing new leaves. I would echo Tamlin's advice and unpot, clean the bulbs and put in fresh mix. I might be inclined to treat them with a little fungicide depending how the bulbs look. Sounds like there is something going on down there.

T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot you guys. I think I'm going to wait just a bit longer for the new growth to come up. If they wilt again before reaching maturity, I'll repot...the Red Dragon was just repotted into fresh LFS a while ago.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Tamlin on this too. I exclusivly use rain water collected in a plastic 55 gallon drum from the roof. I haven't had a problem yet and started growing last summer. I have some that seem to stall and look pitiful sometimes, but snap out of it. Good luck with them. Oh I also keep mine sitting in water too. Besides mostquitoes I don't have a problem. I just picked up some dunks for those dang skeeters.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SpyCspider @ July 06 2006,12:43)]

...and finally, this is what the 2nd picture used to be when I was growing them indoors under a lamp....it's a salad bowl.
    can i bring up a this old post to ask a question about the kind of lamp used to grow the VFT;s in that salad bowl indoors?

thanx

vraev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heh...23 watt (100 watt equivalent) compact fluorescent bulb. On one desk lamp about 5 inches away. About 14 or so photoperiod, but I made it so the light would go off for about half an hour 3 times. It's undrained but with gravel on the bottom. Substrate is pure LFS.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look amazing. I am getting this one 33 watt tube. Maybe 2 of them. They will be on top at a distance of 4 inches away. Hopefully I'll try with 1 and see how it goes.

right now I am using a 13 watt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12