What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cup trap on the market

• Thread starter sam
  • Start date
May be it's the only one. I got it just 9 USD, very cheap.

fdf65cb1.jpg

a35bec3f.jpg

dd7e383e.jpg

Hmm.. Doesn't look like the Cup traps that i've had or seen... Looks like a VFT with some slight need of better conditions.

I think it is. It takes awhile for the distinctive traps to form, and the plant often reverts. I don't know from year to year if mine have made it through dormancy until about July when the form begins to show more strongly, but from what I see here I think you will see more of the cup form being produced over time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hmm.. Doesn't look like the Cup traps that i've had or seen... Looks like a VFT with some slight need of better conditions.

I think I agree with that. I can see one cup trap and a few ordinary ones. I often get the odd cup trap on many plants. There's one on my Green Dragon right now.

I still dont understand why anyone would want deformed plants..
smile_h_32.gif

Scot

I received mine from a guy that collected variants for a decade who gave up growing. He gave me about 20 different forms, but danged if I can say which "cultivar" they really are. They didn't do much for me at first, but they do sort of grow on you - no pun intended. 'Cup Trap' has a certain delicacy to it, but it is a successful trap vs some of the mutate monstrosities some find charming.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ June 19 2006,7:59)]I still dont understand why anyone would want deformed plants..
smile_h_32.gif

Scot
I just bought that accidentally. Just 9 USD!

It is not unusual for just about any VFT plant to show the occasional odd shaped trap.

well i would have to say it doesnt look like a cup trap, sorry dude just looks normal to me

It's just a typical supermarket vft under some stress after being grown in the less than ideal conditions. For it to be a cup trap vft, all of them has to be cupped shape. I currently grow both tamlins form and the regular cup form and all of them never made true regular traps, although the tamlin's form makes non carnivorous leaves sometimes w/o a trap altogether.

I also say it's just a typical.
My Cup Trap has never made a normal trap on it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ June 19 2006,6:32)]I currently grow both tamlins form and the regular cup form and all of them never made true regular traps, although the tamlin's form makes non carnivorous leaves sometimes w/o a trap altogether.

That's good to know. My plant makes 2 to 3 leaves a year without traps.

That looks like a typical flytrap. Unless it is labeled as cup trap, it is probably just a normal flytrap. Cup trap does not produce normal traps for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ June 19 2006,3:34)]It is not unusual for just about any VFT plant to show the occasional odd shaped trap.
Thanks for all!
There is not a odd trap, you can see others on the third photo. Totally, it have 6 cup on the whole plant.
I think that is it a real cup trap which is not important.
For me, I don't know. I just want to hear more advice and theory.
We can learn more experience and view point from other peoples through discussion.
In my experience , some clone haven't a mature form of traps under below conditions.
1. After domancy.
2. Sun light not enough.
3. The baby plants.
REF.
I will know the real answer on future. Thanks!

You have a regular form flytrap there, not a cup trap. Under stressful conditions regular form vft can and will produce mutant growth, but usually only temporarily. True mutant form cup trap vft do not usually produce the typical trap form which your plant is doing.

hehe...embarrassingly, I have a typical VFT demonstrating nothing but cup traps, so my conditions must suck right now.  
biggrin.gif

but hey, i got it for $4.50 from Lowes so what can I say...

Thanks BobZ data!

one of it looks like a cup trap
but the rest arent

It's 'Green'.
Thanks !
smile.gif

I just picked this cupped VFT at Home Depot last night.

Yeah, I know it has a flower stalk. That gets clipped soon enough.

Back