What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cup trap on the market

• Thread starter sam
  • Start date
Nice plant! I’m sure with proper care and lots of sunlight this growing season, it will look even better!

Home Depot has VFT this time of the year? Was there a lot of them when you went? Did the majority of them look healthy, or were most of them black and dead-looking?

There was a flat of Nursery Man's Exchange VFTs that was there from the week before. Most of them were blackened and dead, some with very etiolated leaves. Some kind of okay. At least half of them had flower stalks. Maybe 10-15 plants

The flat of Gubler's must have just come in a few days ago. Half VFTs and half Sarracenia of the unknown type that I posted on the ID this plant section. The VFTs were pretty sad looking, mostly light starved, almost all with stalks. The Sarrs were in about the same condition as the one I picked up at Lowe's.

I would have passed on most of Gubler's VFTs, and would only have bought one of the NMEs if they were in the half price or less pile.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you pick through the VFTs you can sometimes find some nice looking ones. How healthy they really are remains to be seen. I bought this one from OSH a couple weeks ago. It's in a 2 inch pot. I don't know if it is a B52 but the traps sure are big in relation to the petioles. I suspect the red may have been painted in. Yes it had a flower stalk that I clipped.

P1180092.jpg

P1180089.jpg

P1180091.jpg

Yer not serious about the painted red thing.... are you?

The red doesn't look right to me, it doesn't have that powdery 3-D effect that I normally see.

If you pick through the VFTs you can sometimes find some nice looking ones. How healthy they really are remains to be seen.

This is actually something I've found to be true as well. I picked up three VFTs from a Home Depot a few months back and had them growing merrily in a windowsill. I got one that clumps like mad, one that is fairly normal and another which has traps which are a good two or more times the size of the others, despite having the same size petioles all around.

I recently moved it into the garage with some of my other VFTs which are under a lot of artificial light and, much to my surprise, got even more color out of them than what I got at the windowsill!

The large trapped one particular colors up very nicely, with purple looking cilia and nice red traps. Not blood red or anything, but much more colored than some of my other plants under the same lights.

I'm anxious to see if this pattern of coloration and abnormally large traps continues. Despite being a mutt from Home Depot, this is actually one of my favorite VFTs at the moment, just for the interesting color patterns.

So yes, long story short, you can actually find some good stuff if you pick through the half-dead and way-past-dead plants at H.D. / Lowes / etc., at least in my experience.

Hey Not A Number, I have a question for you… When you buy a VFT this time of year, what do you prefer to do regarding dormancy? In other words, what did you do with your new VFT? Will you slowly introduce it to the outside temps and hope it will go dormant OR will you just let it skip dormancy and keep it inside?

Thanks!

wow...real nice looking plant there buddy.

Hmm..its hard to tell if that is indeed a B52. I have a B52 and a typical and the typical looks like a miniature of the B52. So you cannot say for sure unless you measure trap sizes.

here are the plants in my custody :p
1901070228eh3.jpg
1901070227jk7.jpg

on initial look without knowing the scale...both plants look similar. The first pic seems to show the bigger plant....but its not....infact...the second is the B52...for scale...see the red dragon trap leening into the B52?? that size is the size of the typical's trap. Compare it with the top new trap of the B52. its atleast 1/4 times bigger. If you carefully notice, in the second pic...on the left there seems to be an extremely small trap of the dentate....that is a size comparision to the B52 which is like 3 times bigger.

BTW....the cupped trap in the previous page is gorgeous. :)

Painting the inside of traps on plants put out for sale?

Hogwash!

Hey Not A Number, I have a question for you… When you buy a VFT this time of year, what do you prefer to do regarding dormancy? In other words, what did you do with your new VFT? Will you slowly introduce it to the outside temps and hope it will go dormant OR will you just let it skip dormancy and keep it inside?

Thanks!

Skip dormancy, and grow on windowsill or tank. Plants eventually to be moved outdoors to sync up to natural photoperiods on their own. Skipping dormancy for one year should not kill the plant, especially a TC plant which, because of the vigorous growth phenomena, will grow faster than a "natural" seedling the first year or so.

Ok, so I clipped the flower stalk on the 'Cupped Trap' I bought a couple weeks ago. I've been away for 3-4 days and I look at the plant tonight and it's putting up another flower stalk :crazy:

Back