What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the leaf make a new trap?

After I cut the black trap off will that same leaf be able to make a new trap or will it just be a leaf with now trap? Should I cut the whole leaf off when the trap turns black? I have plenty new leaves and traps coming up but I want to know what to do when I have just a leaf.

No. When you cut a trap off its gone. Its not a lizzard tail... no comming back.

I normally only cut off dead material. If its still green it is still photosynthesizing and feeding the plant.

If you want to try, you can attempt to remove the trapless leaf and make leaf cuttings.

Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ June 28 2006,11:09)]No. When you cut a trap off its gone. Its not a lizzard tail... no comming back.

I normally only cut off dead material. If its still green it is still photosynthesizing and feeding the plant.

If you want to try, you can attempt to remove the trapless leaf and make leaf cuttings.

Steve
Steve, what is your approach to a VFT leaf cutting. I have tried putting leaves in 50 ml centrifuge tubes, only to have them fungus up. I have tried putting them in a pipette container, with moist media, and covered. I went 1 for 4 with that. i am now trying live, swampy LFS. Several weeks later, the leaves are still green, but there doesn't seem to be new plants. Although, the traps still fired. I also had one in live sphag, outside and that just up and died.

Leaf cuttings are very hit and miss for me as well. I normally just plunk a cutting down in the same pot as the parent plant. I have had spotty success from that method. The best way I know of is to simply wait till the plant naturally splits itself, then seperate the growth points into different pots.

That live sphag idea sounds good to me. As long as you still have green, you have a chance at success. Do keep us updated on that will ya?

Cheers
Steve

They're still green and I'll check to see if anything is emerging. Unwittingly, I just initiated a topic about a decapitated VFT, from a couple weeks ago and that is in the live LFS of a minibog - stiill green and with a trap in development.

Back