What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help

my traps r dying
and i saw a little red bug crawling around my flytrap
is the bug messin up my flytrap?

hey,
are ALL the traps dying? or just a few? it's normal for traps to die off after a while.

not ALL but most
and i think some r shriveling?

what are your growing conditions?  i.e., where are you growing it, what are you watering with and how often, etc.?

well i think the bug might b the problem
but water it every couple of hours w purified water
and im growin it outside
usually theres shade there but not too much

It might be the bug...but my gut is saying that the little fiend is still getting used to being out in the sunlight.  Give it just a little more time!  I bet you'll find that, after it gets through this transition phase, its new leaves will grow bigger and more beautiful from being outside.

now...You've asked a LOT of questions!  and while we LOVE your gung-ho attitude, you gotta RELAX!!  
smile.gif
I've been growing venus flytraps for almost a year, and in that time I've learned something I never realized I was lacking - patience!  And lots of it!  Plants take TIME to become big and beautiful.

Instead of stressing out so much over every little thing, try doing a little reading.  Oh just try it!

Barry Rice's website is INCREDIBLY helpful - and fun to read!

Peter D'Amato's book...I open it almost every day to look up something...or just stare at the gorgeous pictures

ive already read that
thanks
u guys seem very helpful
thats y i ask a lot of questions
different people have different opinions

I say this, if the water says purified, is it really? Never buy anything but distilled water, de-ionized water, or reverse osmosis water. Or, collect rainwater. Labels are misleading. If it says bottled, drinking, or purified water, you may be the one causing the plants demise. Water is THE most important thing for VFT's, and any other water may just be causing them to expire. LABELS ARE MISLEADING. DON'T trust them!!! Any advice here is best followed for the best results for plant growth. Don't trust purifying filters either, or you can end up with VFT mush, and no plant at all.

I agree with Bugweed,
its likely that:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but water it every couple of hours w purified water

is the problem.
you need to buy Distilled water!
it must have that word on the label..distilled.

and what kind of soil is it growing in?
have you repotted it into pure peat or spagnum moss?
or is it growing in the soil it came in?

where did you buy it?

and..you shouldnt be watering it "every couple of hours"
it should be sitting in a tray of water, and should only need the tray re-filled.

Scot

Is fresh growth emerging from the centre of the plant?

distilled water? i thought pure water was good, i get my water from a drinking water shop
i got my vft from a green thumb nursery n VERY good condition and now its starting to die
its still n the same 3 inch pot it came in, im too scared to repott it cuz i might mess up
fresh growth? as n new leafs forming? yea but the new stalks are smaller than the ones already growing
is there a way to post pics here? i have a pic of my vft but it was taken a week after i got it so its not exactly up to date

In order to post a picture you must host the image somewhere online. If you go to Image Shack then you can upload your photo. Once uploaded you can click the "Image" button when posting in a topic and just cut and paste the link to your photo.

In terms of your VFT... It sounds like it is acclimatising to me. You should definately check into your water source but you should expect smaller traps when changing environments especially when you purchase it in great condition from a good nursery.

Zac

u know what i just found out?
i found out that i have a sprinkler that shoots out water from time to time
but i dont know WHAT kind of water so that might b the cause
and im always finding little bugs crawling around my vft
thanks zac i now know how to post pics

607070025wi.jpg
thats my flytrap
sorry if its tooo big

Back