Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Folair feeding my Venus flytrap

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I read on Barry rices page that the best treatment for a sick flytrap is the same as you would give a healthy flytrap, the right growing conditions.
    Leaf damage never heals. The leaf is designed to live no more than a few months, so why would the plant spend energy to heal it. So all the damage that the plant has suffered while it was in the store is permanent. The leaf will die and new ones will take it's place. That's just how these plants operate. The only thing you will do by trying to fix it is to do more harm. The best thing to do what hasn't been done and that's treat it like a flytrap. Humidity above 60%, temps between 85 and 100, plenty of sunlight, and the right amount of water. Fresh air won't hurt either.
    You said that you see new growth. That is the best you can hope for. The old leaves will and are going to die. There is nothing you can do to stop that. So just let it happen. Keep watching he new leaves, make sure they stay green. It sounds like to me that you're already doing the best thing for the plant. Flytraps are slow growing plants, nothing is going to speed up what nature has programed them to do.
    If I were you I'd forget about the bloodmeal, fertilizer, and all the other stuff. There is no use in experimenting when you only have one. When you have 10 flytraps then you can stand to lose one or two if the experiments doesn't work.
    I don't know where you live but I found that flytraps loves to be outside. They can survive outside almost in every part of the US without much effort.
    As Bug mention Superthrive can help, but don't expect it to be overnight. Superthrive just gives it a boost of what the plant needs. It won't make it grow any faster or repair any damage.
    The only thing that will help this plant is the right conditions and time. Give it both and it'll be ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Perlite = BAD
    Eh? A 2:1 peat/perlite mix is ideal for VFTs
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing that I'm trying to do is give my plants a boost to help them recover I plan on letting nature do the rest I live in Milwaukee, and my plants are outside in full sun 10 to 12 hours. my wife went to Walgreens yesterday in the dollar section and pick up 15 Venus flytraps so I will have my hands full. I immediately repotted them with the other plants in the long fiber spung moss. This morning when I went out the leaves have all shriveled and died, just like my other plants did, so I cut off all the shriveled parts of the leaf one of them even had a flower stem still intact I will be taking some pitchers to let you see exactly what I have so that you guys can help me further, and if you see things that are wrong let me know. Hey bugweed by the way I already use perlite what mistake it does get all over the place, but for now I'm kinda stock I don't want to uproot the plants and change it until they are more healthier. As I inspected the bolbs for fungal, it is my guess that they are between three to seven years old the bulbs were huge, and most of them had a very nice whitish color to them, but one had a little pink in it, that's the one that was flowering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cant upload the pitcher

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason they wilted like that was because of the drasctic change of envoirment and from being uprooted. They really don't like that at all.

Let me ask you a question. Did the vft's come in a red plastic pot with a white cup lid that was cut to let the plant through but keep the soil in place during shipping? And was the soil 100% peat?
    Let me know

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Email me the pic and I'll do it for you.

voodoodancer@gmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes Ozzie, it came in a plastic container with the humidity dome on it. But as I replanted them and inspected them, the bolbs were very healthy and white, one had pink in it, that's the one that was flowering. And yes it was 100% peat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like stated before you just need to give them time.I've had my vft's for a few months and all are doing wonderful.Mysuggestion to you would be alot of sun and insects.The tricky thing with insect is making sure they are small enough to be consumed before it's starts to rot.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast