Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Folair feeding my Venus flytrap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I go about folair feeding my Venus flytraps, what fertilizer to use, and how to mix the fertilizer, so that it does not hurt my plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very very dilute is the way to go apparently. The risk is you'll drip into the soil though and it's a gamble. Insects are much safer, more fun and more effective.

Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard diluted technique, which kind of foliar fertilizer should I use 10-10-10, 20-20-20, 30-30-30, and how much should I dilute with a gallon of water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you bother??
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had bought my plants from steins garden center about two months ago they have very little traps left they had them in the humidity cup I'm trying to give my plants a boost so that they can recover from removing them from the humidity cup they are growing very very slow I don't know what else try I have tried everything, from the potting them, with long fiber moss, and no luck yet. I suspect that the plants are weak and need some type of boost once they are healthy again I planned on letting them eat on their own. Any help would be greatly appreciated I do not want to lose my plants.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you're flytrap is missing is patience. These plants do things in their own time. It sometimes takes several weeks for a plant to get used to low humidity and often it isn't until a new set of leaves is growing that they are fully adapted to the changes in their habitat. If you want to give your plant a boost, put it outside in as bright a light as it can take and let it catch bugs. Fertilizing a VFT is a gamble on getting it just right and not too much. Not to mention being a fiddly way of doing what the plant can do itself catching bugs.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info I will be patient My plants is outside it gets between 10 to 12 hours of full sun everyday, and all the traps have wilted away, there is new Grothe , and I will try to be patient I just hope that they don't die, these are the things that I do with my plants ,I tray water them, and let them eat on their own, they are in a 12 in. plastic bog, with long fiber sponge moss /perlite, once a month I take the planter out of the tray and poor a gallon of desteeled water in the planter and let it drain, to aggregate the soil.------ is this OK. Any info from a pro like your self is cool I really want to learn or recommend a very good book for me read, but I have had done a lot of reading it's got me this far so now I started talking to people like yourself and others, any other opinions are suggestions are welcome please let me know thanks flytrap455.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Flytrap455 @ July 08 2006,3:55)]Any info from a pro like your self ...
    Who me?? About the time I think of myself as a pro I do something stupid and kill some plants. For instance, I can't even guess at how many of my VFTs were killed because I didn't get them inside or mulched heavy enough to keep them from becoming icicles during the winter. Now if being pro means I have had more experience at killing VFTs than you have, I'll probably have to plead guilty.

A good starter book for learning about CPs and how to grow them would be "The Savage Garden" by Peter D'Amato. There are some inaccuracies in the book but it is a good book none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I tray water them, and let them eat on their own, they are in a 12 in. plastic bog, with long fiber sponge moss /perlite, once a month I take the planter out of the tray and poor a gallon of desteeled water in the planter and let it drain, to aggregate the soil.
    Sounds good. Flushing the soil occaionally with distilled water is a good idea. It will help remove salts and minerals that build up in the soil over time and as you say it also aerates the soil some as the water drains through. After a hard rain washes the dirt off the roof, I like to set my plants under the down spout as the rain lightly drizzles so that a trickle of the water runs into the pot. I let that drain through until the water looks clear coming out the bottom of the pot. You need to be careful when doing this though, in case it starts raining hard again as it will "Jimscott" your plants. It also will help if you just place your plants out in a light rain. Also avoid setting the pots directly on the ground where earth worms can get into them through the drain holes. I made the mistake of setting several pots of Utricularia on my sidewalk without water trays under them last year to drain after flushing them. I did this several different times. This last winter my Utricularia started to slowly die away for no apparent reason. I finally decided to repot them in fresh peat and discovered small worms had gotten into all my Utric pots. They had been slowly poisoning my plants by enriching the soil all winter.

So, yeah, if I'm a pro it just means that I have had more practice at killing my plants.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast