What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traps are closing REEEEALLY SLOW

All of my VFT's were closing really fast when I bought them, but since they have been out in my flower bed in about 6 hours of sun a day, they just plain don't want to close. I have seen ants devouring the nectar, and do everything except pull the traps over themselves, but my traps either don't want to close or close very, very, very slow. Does anyone have a likely reason this could be happening? They get really good sun, they are colored up nicely. I don't know what the humidity is. Like, maybe, 50 percent in the day, to 80 at night. Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Have you been making them close over and over?

Either way, traps come and go. Just wait for new traps. Those particular traps are probably on their way out anyway now that they've been in sun that they weren't used to (if you just bought it). Better ones are on their way eventually.

How fast the trap closes is GENERALLY an indication of health. Not always, however. A change in its environment may also cause problems like this. I think if you give it some time, and don't move them around, you may again get the super speed traps you first had. Too many variables to really give a decisive answer, but this may be the cause.

Thanks guys, and to answer or respond to your statement endparenthesis, they have been in sun for about a month and a half, and these traps are not the old traps. The old traps are far gone, these are the new ones. No, I don't manually cause the traps to close. But, I hope they do get better. I hope they are not unhealthy. I've given them light, I give them high humidity by watering all around them every morning, I don't know what else to do.

i know how u feel
some of my traps r also like but only the smaller ones
just dont worry about it and wait for new traps to develop

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] but since they have been out in my flower bed in about 6 hours of sun a day,

This statement worries me. They aren't planted in a flower bed with the soil you use for your flowers.... right? You know all the minerals = bad routine? Just checking.
smile_m_32.gif

Sometimes I get bored and trigger one of my many VFT's traps (Thanks to Bugweed) and some of them close sooooo slooooow I think there is no way it could catch a bug. But somehow, every day they catch something new. It's odd.

I've noticed that vft's in poor health, declining health, or are stressed tend to close a lot slower, like I have to hold the insect there and wait forever. Then the trap will do it's thing and die. The plant then regains health and should be ok.

OK, glad to know it's not just my horrible cultivation skills.  Hey CopCar, you were right, though, the VFT's are soooooooo much prettier when they are in full sun.  They are definitely cool to look at.
laugh.gif

Can you shrink your signature Copcar? It stretches the thread.

I know this is an obvious question but nobody asked it so I will.

What are the temps?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ July 09 2006,5:10)]Can you shrink your signature Copcar? It stretches the thread.
Fixed it...

Yeah the temps are fine. I guess you should just let them be for a while.

Back