What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT's from xscd update

cprus

BANNED
A while back I received what appeared to be 60-80 typical vft's from xscd. They came bare root and so I soaked them overnight in superthrive and to this day, other than forgetting to water and losing one or two, most have turned into magnificent monsters. They're grown in NZ LFS and orchid bark in a cheap standard water tray. I've noticed that they have shown improved growth for vft's growing in such a shallow container. I wonder if the orchid bark had something to do with this or the fact that shallow and wide = more air exchange made them less prone to rot.

EDIT: I've also been using this tray as a recovering area for the vft's that are rotting away, and those were grown the "proper" way, in deep pots etc. The ones moved there show no signs of rot and are recovering. Weird?

VFT_17-9-06.jpg

VFT_27-9-06.jpg

VFT_37-9-06.jpg

VFT_47-9-06.jpg

Egads, it's a jungle in there!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

oy.... most impressive.

wow, that sent shivers down my spine..sucks to be the bug that lands in that..

just curious, you said you're growing them in water trays....are they undrained or drained and what is the depth of the media? Thanks.

thats really awesome, reminds me of jeremiahs new huge pot of VFTs, has about 130 Vfts in one mini bog

They're grown outside and are in undrained water trays with about 1.5 inches of LFS and orchid bark. I'm really attached to these guys, they almost grow themselves!

Niiiiice! Its a morass of jaws! Maybe they will develop aggressive characteristics as they compete for food.
laugh.gif

Good job.
smile.gif

Very attractive group ya got there!

Wow, those are amazing! is that tray literally full (to the surface of the LFS) with water?

Once a week it's watered until overflow then I just let it evaporate until it almost dries out.

The VFTs look great! It gives me a huge grin to see them doing so well. You're doing a great job Mike. Thanks for posting the photos.
smile.gif

Looks very cool! I've been hoping to do somethign similar some time, but I'm still working up my numbers steaily. I'm about to repot a bunch though, that aught to help!

PLEASE be sure to post some pictures if you leave flower stalks on for a while, I always find it additionaly captivating to see a bunch of VFTs flowering together.
smile.gif

VFT 'Big Mouth" given to me by xscd at the giveaway (the bald spot on the right is where a huge really red one was that I sent to Tamlin....)
bigmouth.JPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Aug. 03 2006,10:44)]VFT 'Big Mouth" given to me by xscd at the giveaway (...)

It's neat to see plants that one used to care for so healthy and happy in other people's hands, in locations far away. Thanks for posting the photos, Mike (cprus) and Andrew (adnedarn).

By the way Andrew, the tiny Pink Venus you sent me in trade for the Big Mouth is doing great. Although it is a slow grower (like lots of red VFTs it seems), it is eating voraciously and even has a baby offshoot of its own now.

VFT-Pink-Venus_baby_2006_sm.jpg

Link to larger image of above photo

I'm sorry Mike that I kind of "hijacked" your thread about that wonderful jungle of VFTs of yours, but I suppose this post is still (somewhat) on topic since it's about how plants fare after they are traded / shipped to new locations.
smile.gif

-Steve/xscd

VERY nice! Yah, it is a pretty slow grower... My Pink Venus plants never did recover from the g/h fogger failure incident... I'm glad I got one out into anothers hands before that happened
smilie4.gif

Andrew

Hey no problems with me. I always enjoy seeing some new vft's. My pink venus is struggling as well, not a strong grower at all.

Back