What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

traps browning

new to flytraps. had mine about 2 months.been reading around about them.got mine at walmart. my traps are turning brown and dying but the flowers stalks are coming up good and im trimming them. i sat the trap on my front porch where the sun comes up at,gets about 5 hours direct sunlight.i have been getting filtered water out of my fridge and letting it set out for at least 24 hours maybe i need some distilled or rain water. i attached a pic.any advice well appreciated
venus001.jpg

As long as you have new growth comeing in then the old traps trying is not a problem. They are only good for a few closures and then die. As long as new growth is growing in the center don't worry about it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i have been getting filtered water out of my fridge and letting it set out for at least 24 hours maybe i need some distilled or rain water.

No "maybe" about it. You DEFINATELY need to get distilled or rain water. Just a carbon filter (which is probably all your fridge has) is not enough to remove all the disolved minerals that are in tap water. It may taste good to us, but not to the plants. Distilled, rain, or Reverse Osmosis water.. nothing else.

Good luck
Steve

OOpps I missed that part in the post. LOL

the same things happening to mine
and the new growth have WAY smaller traps

If you've never repotted, it's probably still sitting in the tap water the people at Walmart used.

ive never repotted, should i repot? what kind of soil? ive read peat moss is good.can i buy small package somewhere? what exactly is distilled water? is that what they sell at walmart in the big blue jugs? i dont think its in dormancy but i dont know. thanks

[b said:
Quote[/b] (clayj @ Aug. 01 2006,4:42)]ive never repotted, should i repot? what kind of soil? ive read peat moss is good.can i buy small package somewhere? what exactly is distilled water? is that what they sell at walmart in the big blue jugs? i dont think its in dormancy but i dont know. thanks
You will be fine if you use sphagnum peat moss.  You can pick it up at most any local garden or home store; walmart may even have it.  I would try to avoid Scotts, and do not buy anything that has additives or fertilizers.  The smallest I've seen is 1 cubic foot bags, but that just means you have extra for more VFTs.
smile.gif

Distilled water comes in plastic 1 gallon jugs similar to milk.  When you buy it make sure it says "distilled" or "reverse osmosis" on it.  If it says neither of those do not buy it. You should be able to find distilled water at any decent supermarket.

thanks for everyones help

[b said:
Quote[/b] (geffcardo @ Aug. 02 2006,7:26)]your traps are dead man
Keyword "traps" not plant

Back