Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dear VFT growers, please help fast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you order your CP's from?

I'm curious since I'm in Canada too....Brampton actually.

thanks.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its from Keehns Carnivores. search on google. The owner Rick is an amazing guy. We became good friends. the packagng is good ..as u can see...and it took 2 days by xpress post.

http://www.keehnscarnivores.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome...Thanks.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might want to consider using a turkey baster for removing the old water rather than an eyedropper. The turkey baster looks like a giant eye dropper and works the same.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The potting mix should be fine, as perviously stated.

I followed the exact same site you are using to plant your terrarium. (http://www.the-venus-flytrap.com/how...terrarium.html). The only thing I did diffrently is that I used more potting mix. I am currently using a fish bowl because I only own 2 common VFT's.

During the day I cover the top with plastic wrap and keep it next to a sunny window. I do this to keep humidity up and to keep the soil moist. When the sun goes down, I take off the plastic wrap and place the bowl under a bright 30watt bulb. Because of the fact that the plants do not get lots of direct sunlight they need more light, so that is why I put the bowl under a buld from 7pm til about 12 midnight.

As i stated in your first thread, my plants are growing, but they have been forming long skinny leafs with small traps that die out fast because of the absence of direct sunlight.

You might have success with your terrarium, though. I also used the 1-2in of perlite on the bottom of the bowl (tank) and then added 2cups of water, back in April when I first planted my VFT's. I am now noticing though that the water is amlost gone, so I have started to use a spray bottle to mist and saturate the soil with water.

After my experiance with my terrarium, I am definitly going to use the fridge method for dormancy, and I will definitly grow my VFT's outside next spring.

Good luck!!!!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (vraev @ Sep. 01 2006,8:01)]lol!

well...I really love VFT's. I hope they do well in the terrarium. However, I guess I am kinda expecting a bad outcome after reading the FAQ of ICPS on VFT's.
    Venus Flytraps don't need a terrarium. They thrive in fresh moving air and lots of light.

I live in an extremely dry area of the U.S. (New Mexico), probably drier than where you live, and VFTs are the primary carnivorous plant I grow. I would never consider placing them in the stuffy atmosphere of a terrarium. It's not only unnecessary, the environment in a terrarium (unless it is very open, which defeats the purpose of a terrarium to begin with--to keep everything very humid) can become very stuffy, can overheat in sunlight very rapidly to the point of killing the plants, and can cause problems with stagnant, undrained water and fungal infections that can kill the plants.

Don't smother your VFTs with too much careful, worried attention.

And please don't overwater and drown them. They are moist grassland plants, not swamp plants or aquatics.

All that said, VFTs DO like deep room for their roots (although it is not strictly necessary), and plenty of sun and insect nutrition--just be a little conservative with water (distilled, reverse osmosis or rainwater only, with NOTHING added after the reverse osmosis or distilling process!). Water thoroughly until saturated, then allow the medium to dry out until just moist. In winter dormancy, the water requirements are very diminished and minimal. Here in arid New Mexico, U.S., in the wintertime I may water my VFT pots only once per 7-14 days.

best wishes and good luck. VFTs are great little plants--

Steve / xscd
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my first terrarium.

However, the plants are messed up. Especially the new ones..they look strained and floppy. is this normal for purchased plants How long would it probably take THIS SEASON before dormancy time to recover?

[img]30.imageshack.us/img230/9317/img1339dv1.jpg[/img]

cheers,

vraev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont worry what people tell you about the capensis...if it hits freezing(or just above) it will come back from its roots...like with BCK muahaha! i have yet to experience D. capensis as a weed...but shouldnt be too long because i have about 13 seed pods with one that is about to ripen...oh joy
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast