Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dear VFT growers, please help fast

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

I posted this in terrarium forums...however, visitors there seem too little compared to the vft forum. So since majority of my plants are VFT's. I am reposting here. I am still waiting with the materials after 2 hrs since I posted...just sitting at the computer to know if this is how I should start

----------------

Hi guys,

Finally after all that planning and searching. I have made the move. As posted on the other forum, I first had an ikea greenhouse. but now, after purchasing some CP's from Keehns carnivores, I returned the 20$ mini greenhouse and bought these. The materials are in hand, and I am RIghT NOW...as I write planning on starting the build. I hope you guys can pop in fast and help me.

here are my materials:

1) a tank from Pj's pet store : 14$ CDN incl tax
    I want to start small and cheap...so here is a small aquarium.

2) Here are my substrate materials:
    peat moss : 4 $ CDN
    perlite: 4 $ CDN

3) Here are the inhabitants:

i) My 2 week old walmart VFT ..now seeming to fluorish properly

in the background is an airplant : 2$

4) the new comers are here:

from Keehns carnivores in BC, presenting: 1 B52 VFT, 2 typical vft, 1 drosera capensis sundew

very good packaging

ooooo....I am sooo excited.

missing in pics is a crate of aquafina pepsi de-mineralized water which I plan on using TILL snow time when I can collect snow for natural water.

Now this is what I plan on following as instructions::

http://www.the-venus-flytrap.com/how...terrarium.html

Please tell me if those are good instuctions.

I plan on first putting a 1 inch perlite layer. Then mixing 60/40 peat moss and perlite.

then I would water it with a full or half 500 ml aquafina water.

then I would make way in the mixture to pot the plants.

Is this ok? can i do it this way?

Please reply asap....I am waiitng for your opinions experienced CP growers. I am very very excited....I just want to start off makign it right now ...also becos I am worried that something will happen to the new plants. however, they seem to have enough moisture and are well packaged. Yet..they look floppy and need to be potted asap.

please help.

cheers,

vraev
    --------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm, looks like fun! I don't know too much about terrariums...but I noticed a couple of things that might cause you trouble down the road:

you say you're putting a Drosera capensis in there with the VFTs. VFTs need to go dormant every winter...for a terrarium that might be a matter of putting it in a garage or basement, somewhere the temperatures will drop and they'll receive less light. the D. capensis, however, don't need to go dormant. so be thinking of a way to separate them when the time comes...the fridge method might be the way to go.

also, I'm a little suspicious of this water you're planning on using...if it's the Dasani brand drinking water we're all familiar with, it probably won't be good for your plants. I'm pretty sure they add things like salt to make it taste better to humans. CPs, as I'm sure you know, can't tolerate that stuff. try to get some distilled water from a supermarket or drug store....or just collect rainwater.

oh, and what are your plans for lighting?

anyway, good luck!
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aquafina should be fine to use as long as you get the distilled. I used it for a year when I grew my plants at home. Since moving them to my greenhouse I now use the water from my dehumidafier.
    As Presto said, I would be careful with the capensis.
    Sturgeon's Law:
    "Nothing is always absolutely so".

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies. yes....I was already thinking of what to do for light and dormancy. My window this yr at uni (sept - april) is south or north facing. I plan on keeping the tank NEAR the window to get max sunlight. Also I have a omni light which is 13 watts.

I was kinda disheartened after reading the fAQ at ICPS on VFT's. its sad yet understandable that VFT's are soo hard to keep alive in these settings. . well...I'll give it a shot though.

For dormancy, as the day light starts affecting here canada where daylight hours decrease...I will slowly move it 5 feet at a time back into the room. Slowly to an area that may probably be like 5 degrees C. Then....I would probably take all the VFT's out...use water to clean the bulb, take a ziplok bag, wrap the VFT's in the peat...and put it in the main compartment of my fridge.

But for right now concerns....are the potting conditions right is it 60/40

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just seen on aquafina website that the water is reverse osmosis.

btw,,,guys,...if any of you are good with VFT's in a terrarium setting like mine....please give me some of your instructions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so here's a review of what I plan

at the extreme left is the capensis. next 3 are just VFT's the first one is my walmart potted vft. To minimize stress I plan on leaving it in its pot.

Later probably, next season, I might directly pot it into the mix depending on how the new ones are doing.

as you notice...I plan on leaving a side of uncovered bottom perlite. This I plan as a runoff. I mean...as I pour a lot of water...there is no drainage....so the water is at the very bottom....this would be equally distributed in the perlite....I can atleast use a eyedropper to draw out old water.

for the capensis, I plan on pouring water NEAR its center slowly...since I read that drosera''s prefer tray watering.

for vft...I am getting a new spray bottle.

Once I get to my uni chem lab or so...I will take a bottle of distilled water ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there really aren't any 'right' answers when it comes to potting mix...it seems everyone has their favorite. I'm currently experimenting with all peat, peat with sand, peat with perlite, and long fiber sphagnum, with no significant difference between them as far as I can tell. 60/40 should work just fine.

5 degrees C?? seems like a very chilly dorm room! but your dormancy plan sounds like it will work...one thing I did to get mine used to the cold before I put them in the fridge last year was put them in just for a few hours in the evening, gradually working it up to a full overnight. that might not be possible with a terrarium, but just a thought.

don't worry too much about excess water...these guys like it wet.

oh...and don't let your capensis do this to you!
    -Emily

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol!

well...I really love VFT's. I hope they do well in the terrarium. However, I guess I am kinda expecting a bad outcome after reading the FAQ of ICPS on VFT's.

However, I plan on taking necessary precautions against the points of why VFT's die.

-quotes from pdf's of ICPS---

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]1. Wrong type of light.
    I plan on putting the aquarium near a window AND also use a 13 watt white light.

Quote[/b] ]2. Humidity is too high.
    I don't even have a lid for the aquarium yet. I plan on using some cardboard. ....I',m cheap

Quote[/b] ]3. Too warm for dormancy
    I plan on doing the stage wise dormancy.

lol! btw....5 C in dorm room is possible near the window when I open it ..that will make me chilly...yet I guess I will live in the library more than my dorm . Biochem is pretty demanding...and I can't let anything come in my studies...not even if I have to forgo some VFT's. (sorry...VFT)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast