What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watering from above?

joossa

Aklys
I know most of the VFT growers use pots with drain holes at the bottom and a dish with water in order to keep the medium moist. For most this is their watering method.

My question: Is watering (misting w/ a spray bottle or direct application of water from a cup) from above harmful to the rhizome?

I ask this because I have been misting my terrarium, which holds my 2 VFT's to saturate the medium since April. The traps continue to grow. I have read on several sites that water from above can harm the rhizome.

So is the application of water "from above" harmful to a VFT??

Thanks.

Not in my experience. I have always watered my CPs from above whenever possible. I usually water the soil around the plant and avoid getting it on the leaves to avoid splashing water outside the pot.

I have a setup with them such that their pot is resting on top of a container. From what I understand, they like good drainage and don't like sitting in water. So I water from above and the water drains through their pot. If the container has too much water accumulating, I just pour the water out.

just don't dusturb the soil. it's helpful.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So is the application of water "from above" harmful to a VFT??

let´s think , does rain kill's VFT ??!!!
of course not.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cp_produtos @ Sep. 02 2006,5:51)]let´s think , does rain kill's VFT ??!!!
of course not.
True... but we also keep artificial environments (like tropical fish) and the plants are, to varying degrees, out of their element. They're more stressed, in some ways (usually lighting) and what they can tolerate in their natural habitat can set them over the edge in ours. That and we usually have one or two plants to play with, while native whatever lose a few hundred and nobody would notice. There are plants that characteristcally don't get watered from above, in private collections - like C. follicularis, even though they get rained upon in Australia.

Back