What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would it be safe to collect rainwater for my CPs?

• Thread starter Mozie
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 18 2006,8:20)]Or would a temporary drowning (immersing the plants for a couple days) be feasible?
Now I read about the drowning method somewhere too, but doesn't the plant need air? Drowning the whitefly won't drown the plant, will it?

I don't know how whitefly will respond to drowning, but I have used that method successfully, several times when dealing with aphids. When being immersed for a few days, it is enough time to kill the aphids, but not too much time to harm the plants. They will look like "drowned rats" for awhile, but fully recover.

ok so we know some about off roofs...what about from gutters?
Alex

I still would not collect water form gutters. Too risky for me.

Just place clean empty buckets outside in clear areas right before it rains. No harm done, and it's easy!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 18 2006,9:03)]I don't know how whitefly will respond to drowning, but I have used that method successfully, several times when dealing with aphids. When being immersed for a few days, it is enough time to kill the aphids, but not too much time to harm the plants. They will look like "drowned rats" for awhile, but fully recover.
Since I'm going to be using quite a lot of water to drown the whitefly, would it be ok to boil some tap water (let it cool) and use that?

And exactly how many days, 2? 3? should I leave them submerged?

Thanks
smile_m_32.gif

I don't know what the tap water is where you live. Typically, it is treated water and conatins a variety of things, like fluoride, chlorine, and metallic salts. That will kill many CP's, over time. Boiling the water, as in what some do for traopical fish, would evaporate the chlorine, but it would concentrate the metallic salts, making it worse for the plants. Not sure of how much water would be required, but as long as the plants are completely submerged, you won't need to use any more the water. When I was doing this, I had the equivalent of 2" pots, so I didn't need any more than a pint. Can you use distilled or rain water or stream water?

I would submerge them for a day and then see what the results are, perhaps with a magnifying glass. If you see floating whiteflies, then it was probably sufficient. I know with aphids, a day or two was all that was needed. Keep us posted

With regard to rain water that runs through gutters or off roofs, I tend to think that anything that is quickly running along the surface won't pick up much in the way of anything harmful. Now if it sits in a spot, I would be dubious. I have my trash barrels staged right where the rains runs off the roof and it hasn't seemed to cause any problems.

what about de-chlorinator?
Alex

Like jimscott metioned, the water may contain soluble salts which is a factor that harms CP's.

By the sound of it, a de-chlorinator would only get rid of the chlorine in the water, but not the metallic salts (this is just a guess; I've never used a de-chlorinator before). The chlorine problem would be gone , but you would still have the salts to deal with(mainly).

In my opinion, the easiest solution is just to buy deionized water at your local maket. It is VERY cheap compared to taking the time to research and spending the money to buy devices and items that help to purify your water! I'm not saying not to research how to purify water, just that it may not be worth your time.

you could also make a simple solar-sil out of house hold items
Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Oct. 19 2006,10:32)]you could also make a simple solar-sil out of house hold items
Alex
What is a "solar-sil"?

http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/sci/solarstill.html

simple directions (for kids). a solar still is basically a box full of water set up in such a way to collect condensation (i.e. water that has evaporated. when water evaporates it leaves behind all its impurities). it can be as simple as a plastic container full of water, with an empty cup in the middle, saran wrap over the top, and a rock over the glass.

Back