Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this ok for atleast healthy IF NOT thriving

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol.... don't worry..I totally understand the mechanics and the energy reasons, the spectrums needed etc. . As a uni student that was included in what I had to study to get here.

Anycase, I got something to report. I returned the lights. I saw a GE plants and aquarium F33 or something like that. It apparently contains specific phosphates which amplify the light released in the red and blue regions...which plants normally prefer. it is a 24 inch tube, 90 CRI, 750 lumens, 20 watt and no temperature detail...yet....let me consider around 4000 maybe??

I was about to get that...when I noticed I need a fixture....then I noticed that this specific canadian tire carried only one fixture WHICH does NOT have a wall plug output...its like the ceiling wires.

At the end.. Instead of converting all and so on.....I decided on the following:::

1) My plants 'were' growing "ok" as you mentioned...surviving with the ott-lite and the bright shade of sunlight. All plants (except the two new green and red dragons) were producing more offshoots. I do not exactly know what etoliated leaves mean...but I can guess that my plants MAY show that symptom. Yet..still all are growing ok. I am not too worried about red traps as long as the plant can LIVE and grow fine. (maybe not at a fast pace).

2) However, once the winter break arrives or when I go home next month to mississauga...I'll have at my disposal a whole array of hardware stores nearby. I can : get a fixture, try getting the good tubes. Totally get 2 of them to replace the ott-lite ...and along with that...probably a timer.

In the meanwhile...I'll leave the plants alone. Hopefully they will manage. I spent like 8 hrs going around places....taking buses to and fro canadian tire 6 times already without any fruitfulness. So, after all this...what is the point of going for something that is not good enough. If the plants can live ok now.....atleast that gives me some time to concentrate more on school and then when the opportunity arises...get them a present that can make them light up.

so what do u guys think?? Do VFT's die in "low light" (not entirely as I have bright sunshade from a north facing window...and a ott-lite that is turned on for atleast 17 hrs along with the daytime) ?? Do I have time to get to them later

thanx for all the help and suggestions.

Once I can get everything going...I will make my own VFT blog with info on my techniques (guide for a mississauga VFT newbie)

http://vraev.blogspot.com/

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Varun- they should be able to hold on til you can get it together properly- most of yer plants are fresh outta TC anyways, are they not??

I grow mine under some MIGHTY unimpressive lights, moving them to the windowsill for dormancy, and they flower every year and grow nicely (oddly enough, the ones I left outside overwinter grew this year, but didn't flower for me, whereas the windowsill "milder dormancy" ones perform REALLY well)

and before anyone mentions that I should grow them outside in summer to take advantage of the higher light- I KNOW that lol but I somehow forget to move them pretty much every year!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your little collection- if there's any problem, it will DEFINITELY not be for lack of effort on your part though, I am real impressed with the amount of time (time you say you don't even HAVE lol) that you have put into this so far, good show man!!
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the kind words carl. I really appreciate it.

Yeah....I decided that its enough time I spent on them already. Once in a day...or twice or three times....lol! darn....maybe 10 times I just look at the plants....see the tiny shoots growing...look for the moss showing any progress and so on.

I just got some AL foil from home and some good home food. (Yum!) & some ziplock bags...kinda big...but meh.....

The only small VFT is actually kinda slowing down. Nearly all VFT traps are becoming sluggish...I guess dormancy is kinda approaching them. Depending on how slow they get I will just remove them....wash with aquafina distilled (yeah! no sodium as compared to dasani which has sodium) ...and use some of the dry moss that Rick has sent me to wrap it damp and shove it into the small fridge I have.

If any fungus grows....I am sorry for the plant..becos I did all I can at this stage of my life...I cannot just spend any more effort for it. Atleast until I get into medschool + after residency when I will honestly try to make a REAL MINI CAROLINA...spend the money....use land for creating various habitats. Until then....I rather work my teh butt off than spend too much time on the plants.

Sorry that I didn't follow up regarding the seeds carl. I will get them from you later...when I can really afford spending time with these amazing plants.

In the meanwhile...I hope the moss grows and the VFT's all live.

cheers,

varun

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOH! I want to go to medschool after I go to college, too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12