What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cinnamon used as fungicide?

Just wondering if anyone has ever used cinnamon as fungicide ... :p

http://www.strato.net/~crvny/sa03005.html

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If the cold temperatures of your area are mostly from the fifties to the forties, keep the plant outside during winter, away from frost, with the method I just explained; it will do fine. If the temperatures are significantly lower or higher than this, take the plant out of the pot, but only cut the dried leaves, spread some fungicide on the plant (Cinnamon appears to be a good organic fungicide. Spread just a little all over by flickering a brush with cinnamon in it.), wrap the bulb in moist, not wet, sphagnum moss, put it inside a plastic transparent bag, close it, then place it in the fridge (away from the freezer), or a cold place in the house. Chose a spot that will take about 50°F to 40°F, careful with low temperatures. Then check every few weeks to make sure no fungi is growing. Also, if in the fridge, put a note so that whoever wonders looking for food will not think of it as a strange exotic onion.

Oh and while we're on the subject of fungicide, here are a couple more questions.

1) Are there any household products that can be used as fungicides? and how effective are they? Read that baking soda can be used to control it and I was wondering if anyone has tried that method yet.

2) Are there any particular brands of fungicide that you would like to recommend?

3) A leaf is starting to rot (the edges are starting to blacken). Should I trim off the affected area and treat it with fungicide?

4) I know the plant is sensitive to chemicals ...etc. Should fungicide be applied to only the affected areas and not the whole plant?

Thanks again!
Allen

I use cinnamon everytime I plant seeds. I also use it when I stratify seeds. The lastest seeds that I have stratified ended up with some mold/fungus on the outer areas of the damp paper towel that I used. There was no mold/fungus where the cinnamon was sprinkled over the seeds. It seems to work.

Crystal

Baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate. Bad for cp's!!!

1.-neem oil, cinnamon

2.-I use shultz other are good too.

3.-No, it's normal for leaves to die and blacken. Trim.

4.- I spray all over liberally.

cinnamon seemed to work pretty well for me. I used the fridge method for dormancy last year and when mold started growing around mid-january, a shower of cinnamon did the trick.

but I do have a S. purpurea from a Lowe's cube that came with a lot of mold. I tried two doses of cinnamon, but it didn't go away. in the end I repotted the plant, and all is well.

so in my experience...cinnamon works, but not if it's a really bad case.

my feeling is, fungus (and insects) have a few million years of evolution on us. the less you can get away with exposing yourself to chemicals meant to kill things that are good at not dying, the better.

Yes, I have used cinnamon as a fungicide on nepenthes leaves and it seemed to have worked.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3) A leaf is starting to rot (the edges are starting to blacken). Should I trim off the affected area and treat it with fungicide?

Your post seems a little paranoid! If your conditions are right, you won't need any fungicide. In summer fungus shouldn;t be a problem, and in winter adequate air circulation will prevent it. I'd only use it if you're using the (unnatural) fridge method for dormancy. Sulphur's probably a safe bet.

Leafs will blacken all the time, especially at this time of year. Just snip the whole leaf off once it turns black. Don't cut into green tissue.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alexis @ Sep. 21 2006,5:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3) A leaf is starting to rot (the edges are starting to blacken). Should I trim off the affected area and treat it with fungicide?

Your post seems a little paranoid! If your conditions are right, you won't need any fungicide. In summer fungus shouldn;t be a problem, and in winter adequate air circulation will prevent it. I'd only use it if you're using the (unnatural) fridge method for dormancy. Sulphur's probably a safe bet.

Leafs will blacken all the time, especially at this time of year. Just snip the whole leaf off once it turns black. Don't cut into green tissue.
Guess i'm a bit paranoid, what can I say am a newbie at this :p
Guess i just needed some reassurance from a community that has experience with cps.

Back