What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whoa. I just saw a fly get nabbed by a vft!

I've been growing these for a few years now, but tonight I just saw the first fly get caught by one of my flytraps! I couldn't believe my eyes, I even jumped a bit. Have you all seen them catch a bug on their own?

Capslock

Congrats Max.. welcome to the club
biggrin.gif

I've seen it happen once. It happened earlier this spring. I was quite surprised because the trap that made the catch was a winter trap that had been on the plant since it went dormant the fall before. The trap never reopened and later turned black and died, but it was quite a thrill to see the catch happen firsthand.

Steve

wow...ive been lucky. ive seen jumping spiders, small moths,...even som LFS
biggrin.gif
. but oddly enough ive never seen a fly being caught. ive seen them drinking the nectar and such but they never trip the trap.
Alex

I've never seen a Dionaea catch a bug on it's own.

Its funny when you see a VFT eat a scavaging Daddy Long leg...

Ive seen it happen once.

I was outside watering my plants when I saw a bug flying around my plants. I did'nt want to scare it away so I stood there as still as I could and watched it buzz around some Sarra's. Then make its way down to the VFT's. It avoided all the big traps and headed deep down into the forest of tiny traps and got snapped up. It was AWSOME to see it happen.

I'ts funny how uncommon actually seeing it happen seems to be!

I've seen a few things mess up and get trapped by my VFTs (like the aforementioned Daddylonglegs, I don't know how they get caught so BAD, the dang things always end up with their bodies in the rap and all their legs sticking out, looking like some ruined iron bridge), but my fave is sitting on my front porch and watching my Sarrs eat hornets, I set the plants in tray so the light goes right through them, and then watch the hornets as they try every trick in the book to get the nectar without paying THE PRICE

They pretty much Never escape once they get a good sniff of the sweet death-goo

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Sep. 25 2006,9:33)]Its funny when you see a VFT eat a scavaging Daddy Long leg...
It always amuses me to see the legs sticking out of the traps...

I see my cp's catch their own food all the time. Maybe I spend too much time lookin at em
laugh.gif

lol! the first time I fed a REAL LIVE INSECT to my B-52 with 1 inch traps...I was soo excited too.
smile_n_32.gif

Now its again hard to catch anything decent except mosquitoes and fungus gnats.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (larry @ Sep. 26 2006,4:49)]I see my cp's catch their own food all the time. Maybe I spend too much time lookin at em
laugh.gif
There never was or will be such thing as too much observation. Keep it up!

I've seen traps catch flies...and once I watched a fly wander down the throat of a purp....never to be seen again. Although you could hear some frantic buzzing inside the pitcher.

I actually got some shots of a fly with its head sticking out of the "teeth". It was sad. He struggled and struggled and finally got his "shoulders" out. After all that work, I nudged him out and set him free. Yes, I save a dang FLY. :-/

Back