Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

alright for my VFT's Dormancy pieriod, i plan to Up-Bulb my VFT and Fungacide it, followed by placing it in a plastic bag, and storing it in the refrigerator till spring has sprung.

What are your opinions?
    \"Try not to shout, when in doubt.\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how long have you had it?
    where has it been growing this year?
    indoors or out?
    what is your climate like?
    how cold does it get in the winter where you are?

Scot

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can probably get away with leaving it outside for a natural dormancy. Your temps are a little chilly but with a couple extra precautions on the coldest nights you should have no trouble with natural dormancy.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had it for 3 days, it is indoors, Hot summers and chilly winters(freezez often).ive been giving it indirect sunlight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (#1Trapper @ Oct. 02 2006,10:52)]I have had it for 3 days, it is indoors, Hot summers and chilly winters(freezez often).ive been giving it indirect sunlight.
    Given that your plant is so new (and probably fresh from tissue culture) I would probably skip dormancy this year. You are right that the summers are far too warm for VFTs. Winters are pretty chilly for them also. You "could" get away with it, but since you will need to provide a growing environment for it for summer anyway, might as well get a jump on things and set yourself up now.

You should get yourself a small reflector lamp and a compact fluorescent light bulb. If possible get a timer for the lamp so that you can control the photoperiod that the plant receives (this will be important for initiating dormancy next fall).

Next fall when dormancy time comes you can make your decision of weather to try the fridge method, or a natural outdoor dormancy. If you try the fridge method I suggest that you review this post first: Fridge Method

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to be doing the same thing you posted in your original post.

I have had my 2 typical VFT's since April (I got them from Wal-Mart). I have been growing them in a terrarium (big mistake), so now I must use the fridge method for my plants. I can't put the entire terrarium outside because it's too bulky and it may collect too much water when it rains.

I hope this will work well, and if they do make it, they will be grown outside in the happy sun from then on.

Good luck!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Oct. 02 2006,2:10)]" I would probably skip dormancy this year."

"You should get yourself a small reflector lamp and a compact fluorescent light bulb."
    Ok, i thought that VFT NEEDED dormancy, secondly if i were to get a flouresent lamp where and around how much for? wouldn't puting a lamp over my VFT be direct sun light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFT do need dormancy. With a few exceptions... ie: 1. fresh tissue culture, 2. seedlings. Adult plants can skip dormancy for a season or 2, but the plants will be less vigorous the following year. Prolonged non-dormancy will result in death of the plant.

A reflector lamp should be relatively inexpensive, the bulb should be the "cool white" type. All together, lamp, bulb and timer should run about 30-40 bucks.

VFT's prefer direct sunlight. Problem is that in McKinney Tx. the heat is so severe that the plants would be burnt to a crisp in notime flat. Keeping a fluorescent bulb over it should keep it lit enough.

Steve

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast