Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are these bugs bad for VFT??

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah. I am giving them proper water. Making sure that medium is never soaking...just damp. I spray them everyday. The new 2nd light heats up enough to get temp good enough for the VFT's to close fast in less than 1 sec.

I noticed that approximatly with all other requirements aside...my VFT's are growing aat half the rate of this guy's at the uk forum. Mine have grown 6 leaves in total 1 month. His have done that in 2 weeks. But also he has double the light.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum....2c19ee8

I guess I'll stay with what I have then. Few days ago..I randomly spotted an ant like creature probably 1.2 cm in length crawling when I sprayed my plants. it was like a jackpot...I fed it to my red dragon. it opened in 4 days and the entire thing is gone ... no exoskeleton. . Looks like it enjoyed it.

I don;t know where it came from...haven;t seen anymore but.....if more come ...then thats good for the plants. I guess I;ll just take the opportunities as they come.

I hate those freakin stink bugs. my brand new trap for the typical which I admired so much is all wilted becos of that alcohol spray from it. I guess I am just happy it didn't kill the plant.

The B 52 hopefully should be fine. This is the last of those bugs I ever feed mhy plants. It took the first one well...apart from just loosing the trap. Today the insect is still moving its leg inside....i thought it would be suffocated...but no...its still moving. I am pretty sure...it will secrete the chemical once the plant secrets the digestive juice on it. then the browning should start . But...if the plant gains any nutirents before the trap dies...then no problem as in course of time more traps should grow.

Thanx for taking time to help joossa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contrary to popular opinion, I find that VFTs can eat enormous meals, exoskeletons, anything virtually!

Sometimes traps die whatever they're digesting. If there's plenty of air movement, they can consume large insects without any fungus ruining the trap.

I say feed it whatever you can find!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey....its true.....in the CP world...I guess whatever works is good. I got a small millipede...I am feeding it to a VfT

lol! just did it. Kinda kewl to see. The millipede is moving inside and the trap shut tighter and tighter.. its like "The door is shut.........it was made for the dead...and the dead will keep it... " quote modified from Lord of the rings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    milipedes also give off chemicals...you know how they stink? they are chemicals and another one it makes it toxic to people.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    darn! lol! its inside the trap already ...

well...I finally went to a pet store and bought 5 crickets for my 4 VFT's...varying sizes. Big ones for the b52 and small ones for the small typical and medium sized for the red dragon and another typical.

BUT....even if the millipede does make toxic stuff...only the leaf will die ...won't it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup...tecnically each leaf is its own plant really. i heard that from jimscott i believe.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well....I guess thats better than the entire plant dying. This one especially is the "Two blade wonder" which I termed as......just becos when I got it it had only two leaves without any traps. So it was slow to make the first trap. Now it got a second and a third. The fourth is coming soon.

In the trap which I put the millepede I especially noticed 8 trigger hairs. So far I have only seen 6 in all tohers. However....this one had 8. Well....too bad....if it dies.

Crickets I guess are more NATURAL food from the VFT's habitat...isn't it??

Spent 0.70$ for 5 medium size crickets and 2 small baby crickets. If its good...then I guess I'll do this once in a month.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a possibility of the millipede boring a hole through the trap

I don't mind the trap dying with it in it....but I don't want that thing in my terrarium ...I know they eat dead plant material....but peat is all dead plant material.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast