Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are these bugs bad for VFT??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Alexis @ Oct. 20 2006,5:51)]Contrary to popular opinion, I find that VFTs can eat enormous meals, exoskeletons, anything virtually!

Sometimes traps die whatever they're digesting. If there's plenty of air movement, they can consume large insects without any fungus ruining the trap.

I say feed it whatever you can find!
    True. Very true... BUT, you are overlooking the fact that vraev is growing his CP's in a terrarium and like I mentioned in my previous post, The general rule of thumb is that the bug has to be roughly about 1/3 the size of the trap that is going to take it. Since you are growing in a terrarium, you must apply this rule because you are the one feeding the traps and you don't want to lose many traps because of the size of the bug.

In other words, since he has control of what he is feeding his VFT's why not just feed it small insects that are not likely to kill the trap? In the wild anything goes, but if one is growing a terrarium, he/she will most likely want the plants inside to look healthy and appealing to him/herself and to visitors the grower might have over (one aspect of having a terrarium is to show it off).

IMO, if someone has control over what his/her VFT will eat, it is always better to play it safe and go with the smallest, least risky insects possible.
    -Joel from Southern California

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah....I agree.....However, its kinda hard I guesss to catch the small insects. hence a pet store is the best way of getting them. even though its pricey...I guess 70 cents for food for around a month for few CP's is not bad...consideering a bus ride back home is around 8$.

Btw....a little OT...but I bought something today....a new dentate VFT and it looks like a saraccenia...

Tell me if these aren't the most light deprived surviving plants

Got them from rona lansing across the street. They had a new shipment coming next week...But I won't be here...so I jumped for the last sickly plants. She gave me 25% off on them.

What is that pitcher plant. It looks like a sarracenia...even though colsanti labelled it as a cobra plant. It looks like an intensely light deprived pitcher plant.

What do u guys think??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, you got some good finds!

I have never researched Pitcher plants in detail, so I can't name what the cultivar is. What I can tell you is that if that is supposed to be a pitcher plant then, WOW... definitly light deprived!!!! The VFT also looks pertty bad.

Change their potting mix and replant them, they'll probably come back strong in the spring after dormancy.

Good luck with them!!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx joosa. yeah...can't wait to get back with my crickets and new plants. I will remove them from the pots....wash them with distilled water and then plant them in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A green grasshopper in a 3cms trap (typical vft). The only artificial meal I actually fed them with something bigger than flies. I mostly stick up with the 1/3 rule that joossa mentioned

And the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKNZy8ijUtg

The trap sealed fine. If it wasn't too late in the year(, the grasshopper would probably be digested. I don't blame the size of the insect, the same happened with some traps that caught flies, didn't reopen and died. Next attempt, summer 2007

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow...that is a really cool pic there buddy. and your VFT;s look amazing. do u grow them inside??

And yeah....thats entirely true...everyone I guess learns what works for them with CP's. Some ppl see plants die for a reason which others use everyday for beautiful looking plants. SO I guess it entirely depends with the plant u r working with and a number of other factors which we can't even begin to comprehend.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123