What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scotts Peat Moss?

When in doubt throw it out. Or return it :)

Anyone but me LOVE the smell of LFS and to a lesser extent peat? I mean.. it's just so earthy and fresh smelling!

I try not to breath in dry peat, though :(

Yeah, I'll take it back. Scott's says the have a satisfaction guarenteed on the back of the bag. If not satisfied send them proof of purchase and they'll refund your money, but Home Depot usually takes anything back (they sell so much crap they better). There's an 800 customer care number on the bag too. Maybe I call it and give them a piece of my mind :censor:

Anyone but me LOVE the smell of LFS
Don't smell it! You'll get that fungus we all talked about in that other thread!

This is how we are supposed to handle our LFS from now on, remember?:
hazmatcps.jpg

:-O

So I take the funky bag of peat back to Home Depot and tell the woman at the refund line it's moldy or something wrong with it. She gives me my money back and I head into the store to browse around. After about 1/2 an hour I make it to the rack where the planting mixes and peat are and on the shelf is the open bag I had returned.

yeah, i deffinitely would say to go with the baled stuff.
Even though I've heard that they last forever, I bought one that was about the size of a bale of hay and It's been reduced to about the size of a quart of milk.

When in doubt throw it out. Or return it

Anyone but me LOVE the smell of LFS and to a lesser extent peat? I mean.. it's just so earthy and fresh smelling!

I try not to breath in dry peat, though

yeah, I distinctly remember the smell of peat whenever I first recieved my first D. filiformis, and I enjoyed the smell. I do agree that it does smell a little earthy, but I've never smelled anything quite like it before.
However I rarely smell it anymore :-( , I think that it's because I'm outside with my plants too much and that I've gotten used to the smell.

So I take the funky bag of peat back to Home Depot and tell the woman at the refund line it's moldy or something wrong with it. She gives me my money back and I head into the store to browse around. After about 1/2 an hour I make it to the rack where the planting mixes and peat are and on the shelf is the open bag I had returned.

Believe it not, I have experienced the same thing with a light I bought at a Home Depot. It was malformed and would not accept the bulbs without, in my opinion, easily enough force and muscling to break a fluorescent tube. I took it back, told them it was not built properly and part of it must have been bent or incorrectly assembled because the clearance wasn't right and the bulbs did not go in, period. :0o:

Next day I go back for something else, what do I find for sale on the shelf? You guessed it. :crazy:

I think next time that I return something, I'll just respond to their "So why are you bringing it back?" query with a kind hearted "Why are you asking, you're just gonna put it back on the shelf anyway?" :censor:

So yeah, been there and done that one.

MMMM freshly rehydrated LFS is something to savor. Once it's 2 or 3 weeks old it looses it's aroma.

Lol, i'm nuts

Lol, my moms friends sister works at HD lol.

Back