User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scotts Peat Moss?

Unregistered

Talking

I've read in so many places that Scotts is either good stuff, or terrible for CPs, but so far that is all that I have found. I have heard that Shultz and Lamberts are good alternatives but then I've also heard bad things about at least the Shultz brand too.

That said, does anyone have any advice? I don't want to kill a couple of nice VFTs I have coming bare-root, but I'm also unsure which brand of medium to use at this point. I am operating on the assumption that Scotts Perlite is still okay but unfortunately I now have serious doubts about their peat moss.

Who carries the Lamberts brand, by the way? I've never heard anything bad about that, so if I can find it perhaps I will return the Scotts.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay....here is my experience.

I thought schultz bag of moss would be good as it is a smaller bag and I dont need a bale. I made my entire terrarium and then noticed that there is actualy a slow release fertilizer in the moss.

I had to return the schultz bag and I finally found a small bale of that stick filled compressed peat which is pure sphagnum. and the VFT's are kicking well. All of mine are growing and I got them as bulbs too.

Basically the moral of the day is "Get one of those big bales of peat moss 100% and avoid the flashy brands like schultz or scotts.

The problem comes when the big brands want to attract consumers by adding stuff which helps regular plants grow. But this can be lethal to VFT's.

http://www.terraforums.com/ib312....t=26146

That is a link of my post earlier.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Scotts and Shultz with no problems for over 3 years now. I thing I started to do some time ago after playing with my TDS meter is to wash my peat before use.
    Unwashed peat was around 100 ppm and after washing dropped down to the 20 ppm.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, bales are much better because they are very cheap, and also last you for years.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Scotts. No problems thus far.
    Updated Growlist!

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had problems with slow release fertilizer pellet contamination in Schultz Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss. It doesn't seem to bother my 3 N. ventricosa plants, but it has slowly killed any other CP I planted in it, no matter how much rinsing I did. Like Ben, I now buy my peat in bales. A small 2.2 cu yd bale has lasted my daughter and I a couple seasons now.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Oct. 15 2006,3:02)]I have used Scotts and Shultz with no problems for over 3 years now. I thing I started to do some time ago after playing with my TDS meter is to wash my peat before use.
    Unwashed peat was around 100 ppm and after washing dropped down to the 20 ppm.
    What is the best way to 'wash' the peat, just basically soak and strain or something similar? I will definitely try and do this before I use the Scotts. Can't hurt anything and if I don't wash it and have problems, I'll probably wish I had.

Thanks for the advice! I will try and keep this thread updated after I've potted the new arrivals and given them a few weeks to get used to the new soil.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen Lamberts at Home Depot. Read the ingredients of the various available brands. If it has fertilizer, it is best to stay away from it. There are a variety fo approaches to washing CP soil media. I like to use anything that is like a sieve, with small holes in it, such as a collander or a pool filter basket. I simply place the media in it and add water. Then I knead it like bread dough, so that it is thoroughly mixed. I keep adding water to rinse out whatever impurities there may be. You can use tap or rian or stream, whatever, just make sure that in the end you are using rain, distilled, RO, or deionized water. Personally, I buy the big bales, as opposed to the small bags.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast