What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a VFT!

Hello! I'm new here, and I've decided to join.
Yesterday, I got a VFT and I've read obsessivly about them but I'm still worried.

First of all, I live in Anaheim CA and I checked LA's temperatures with that of the Carolinas, and it's a little bit similar. So I think that will be okay.

But I don't know where to put him/them. Right now, I have them on a table in my balcony. I keep a desert plant there, because of the sun. There's also a shady part. But the sun moves around throughout the day, so in the day, before noon, there's lots of sun. But in the afternoon, all of the sun is in my room and I have a windowsill there.

So what should I do? Keep him on the table in the balcony, put him a shady part of the balcony, or put him on my windowsill.
Or should I keep him on the balcony during I'm at school and when I come home put him on my windowsill? Or is that too much stress?

If you have any help, I appreciate it very very much. And this seems to be the second forum where everyone is friendly
laugh.gif

-Sam/Walshferdinand

The main thing for a VFT is "avoid moving it around". It only stresses it. Just leave it alone somewhere. Many ppl here would agree and say that you leave it somewhere if it can get atleast 3-4hrs direct sun + bright shade for another 6 hrs or so.

Anaheim California may have among the best climates for VFTs to live year round outdoors. I keep my VFTs outdoors here in Temecula (about Riverdside's climate) and they thrive. What makes Anaheim even better than Temecula is that Anaheim gets a strong ocean influence, regulating humidities and temperatures to the VFT's likings. There are many growers around your area who keep vfts outdoors year round. Join the LACPS to find out. Just to let you know I envy climates like that of Anaheims.

As for the sun, just keep the plant on the balcony. It won't like to be moved around to often and I think you'll find the few hours of direct exposure to the sun more beneficial than that of windowsill filtered light. Besides, use the windowsill and you'll waste the great climate.

Thank you so much! I'm gonna keep him on the table, right next to my other plant. Now they can be buddies!

smile.gif
Now to catch a fly....

Welcome to TerraForums! As said earlier, the less moving around the better. Ultimately, VFT's do best when outside, where they can get maximum light. Window sill and artificial light are less than the best. But with a new plant, that may or may not have been neglected by the place from which you purchased, may not be able to take being outsie just yet. It could shock them. Do you have a fluorescent light you can place over the pot? Otherwise, for now, I would use a SW window sill and try to get the plant acclimated to to its new home environment. Basically, I am suggesting that you first get the plant adjusted and then try to get it better conditions, without doing too much too fast.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now to catch a fly...

.... or a younger, pesty sibling!
smile_m_32.gif

Thank you very much, Jimscott. But when I bought mine, the store was barely putting them out, so I assume it came from a nursery . He seems to be getting ready to sleep now. And a rolly polly happened to be climbing around the plants, was foolish enough to go into one and it ate it. It was a baby roly poly
biggrin.gif

Is the balcony an outdoor one? Would it give the plant the most amount of sun? If it were me, I would put it where there is the most amount of light, but I would start it off in what is called "bright shade" first and gradually move it to full sunshine. Does that make sense?

If I'm not mistaken, these VFT's and many other storebought plants are tissue cultured and shipped out, but I'm not sure if they go to a wholesaler frist before going to like a Lowes or Osh or Home Depot...

Back