What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can venus flyraps die?

Do not eat? its october and theres really no bugs and its cold already people are wearing the winter jackets...?

I don't think you need to worry. As weather gets colder the bugs tend to disappear so no further food is available. The lack of bugs should not be a factor in the plants health this late in the season.

Their leaves will photosynthesize food just like a regular plant. Bugs just give them nutrients that low or missing in the soil. Just don't let them dry out or keep them too wet.

to answer questions....YES...vft's can die big time. many ppl have probs with them ..just becos of faulty information from the stores they buy it from. However, keep it in good light.....pure water....acidic peat....they will grow well.
biggrin.gif

from what I came to know.....VFT's don't need bugs for survival. but they will definately grow stronger and faster with bugs.

It's like cheesecake. We can survive without cheesecake, but it sure is a lot less fun!

lol! well..it is exciting to feed VFT's. soo cute.

I just fed a big spider which I found while walking back on a wall to my typical....he was semi in...and the trap wasn't closing fully...so i pushed him in with a stick and kinda pressed the open edges of the trap to make sure it can seal.

kinda felt sorry for killing the spider though.

The bugger had biiig legs....tried him on 3 other traps....the legs triggered them but he wasn't in. finally used my foreceps to push him in and then trigger the trap.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 17 2006,11:24)]It's like cheesecake. We can survive without cheesecake, but it sure is a lot less fun!
laugh.gif
That's funny. When my friends saw my plant, the asked, "And does it eat? How do you feed it? Will it die?" And I told them that the plant could photosynthesize...my friends got kinda disappointed.

Allow me to draw a question from the original topic...

VFT's can't die if they don't eat bugs and grow in required conditions. BUT... do they have a lifespan? In other words, will a VFT die after a certain amount of time, even if they are grown perfectly (occasionally eat a bug, are watered correctly, get plenty of sunlight, etc. etc.)???

Are they capable of living a LONG time, like certain trees (redwoods)?

Theoretically, if grown in optimal conditions with no risk of disease, they can live forever as long as the crown stays healthy. One of our members has one thats like 50 years old or so.

If someone wants to correct me, please do! I'd like to know if i'm wrong.

Also, If you have one plant and it splits into two, technically if one dies and the clone lives it's the same plant.... Sort of. It's two, but also one. Kind of paradoxical. I hate paradoxes.

As Clint was alluding to, Bugweed, technically has a clone of a plant from like 4 decades ago. If I understand correctly, the original plant is long gone, but its clones keep going and going and... Aside from flowering / producing seeds, they also do "vegetative propogation", whereby new plants form as offshoots from the adult plant. They also sprout from leaves that are loosely embedded in soil media.

But the question you were asking is about the longevity of a particular plant. That I can't tell you, but I'm sure that there others who can. Most of us kill our respective plant within a couple years, especially within the first few months!

How to check the bulb and to prevent fungus attack? Should we use fungicide?

Back