User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are there any "uncommon" cultivars available?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, I labeled all my VFT's from Wallyworld as D. walmartensis (idea was stolen from somewhere). They are not "typicals" but in TC which these come from variations can be induced depending on how it is done. They may look and act like some other cultivars but are really unknown. Please label them as what they are "unknown" thereby decreasing the chances of circulating more misidentified seed / plants. They do have some cool looking ones around, I even found some the other day in Big Lots !
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my dentate the first VFT from walmart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was at Walmart, they had a bunch on vfts for sale. Over 200, they must've just got them in. They didn't appear to be from a single clone. Some were very different. Many looked typical, some were mostly green, some intensely red in the traps, some upright some low growing, some were dentate. Lots of variety, I of course picked the one with the biggest red trap. It's been an excellent grower, more vigorous than my other vfts.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so it seems that the diffrerent types being sold are distributed randomly...

One last question I forgot to mention:
    Do you know if there is a trend as to when they have them in stock and how often I know for a fact that they are available early spring becase that's when I bought mine, but I never saw my Wal-Mart restock them through the rest of the spring or summer (mostly because I didn't go there very often). Have you seen them being sold during the summer? Fall Winter???

Thanks again.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the warmer months are the best time to find CPs at these stores. when they start putting garden supplies out in the spring, that's the time to start looking. I think June/July are the best months to look at Home Depot, and July/August are the best months to look at Lowe's. for Walmart, try late summer. Lowe's might have a few dying sundews through the winter in their indoor displays, leftover from the summer, but you might get lucky and find them restocked in the middle of winter. a local supermarket had VFTs before Halloween last year, but this year they had them in the summer instead.

this is all in my experience though...your local stores will most likely be different...

one thing you could try is asking people in the garden department if they know when they'll be restocking the CPs (call them venus flytraps, though, or they'll have no clue what you're talking about). I asked a few people, and they weren't very helpful, but always worth a shot, right? if anyone knows it will probably be a manager type...try going during the day.

can you tell I'm so obsessed with CPs that I have to stop at these stores every time I go by? murphy's law, though. the one time I don't go is the time they'll have something new and interesting in stock.

best of luck in your quest...
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to save the few VFT's from the Stores.. other wise i say skrew it... they had a nepenthes once... It was about dead.. didnt save it. Should have... darn!

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Presto @ Oct. 19 2006,4:00)]Lowe's might have a few dying sundews through the winter in their indoor displays, leftover from the summer, but you might get lucky and find them restocked in the middle of winter.
    I was just at Lowe's and struck a deal with the garden center manager because their stock was looking pretty sad and looked like they were about to be trashed. She gave me 60% off so it never hurts to ask about the poor CPs that nobody wants (gasp!).

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gotten some freebies, or real cheap of supposed "dead" Flytraps. They look at me and say "you can restore that?"

When I lived in SF I saw CPs all over, Red Dragons, Dentae, Typical as well as low-growing red traps and long skinny leaves which I think are more due to the conditions of where they were grown before being sold.. NY I've seen Typical & Dentae

Most nurseries and orchids stores in SF had em as well as flower shops, even grocery stores (gotta big S. Catesbyi for 8 bucks at Whole Foods) Seen some nice Neps for cheap too, SF and Amsterdam are like the best places in the world for CP lovers. They're everywhere!!

Amsterdam has a garden market type of flower district with the nurseries having their shops on barges in the canal, the Amount and variety of the plants you'll see there will take your breath away. Big sizes too, no little-teh butt young plants there! I'll dig up the pics when I got the chance and post em, you all will be impressed!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast