User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are there any "uncommon" cultivars available?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey ..go for it....pics are always amazing. especially those of CP's .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One way to find out whether or not your plant is one of the named giant varieties or any named variety is to find the website of the company selling the plant. Take for example Booman Floral. If your plant's label has Booman Floral written on the corner of the advertisement/ care sheet, go to the online site and find out how they acquire their plants. Booman Floral TC's their own VFT seeds, so there's not a chance a Booman Floral VFT is going to be a named variety. But just because the plant is not a named variety doesn't mean it will be any smaller or greener or less vigorous or ect, for named varieties were once just no name typical VFT's like the ones you get a Lowes, adopted then coined a name. Who knows, you might buy a no name VFT from Lowes and be lucky enough to get a VFT with notable characterstics. I know I've gotten VFT's from Lowes that tend to clump, tend to grow upright, is all green, gets really red traps, ect.
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (uglypho @ Nov. 09 2006,7:55)]One way to find out whether or not your plant is one of the named giant varieties or any named variety is to find the website of the company selling the plant. Take for example Booman Floral. If your plant's label has Booman Floral written on the corner of the advertisement/ care sheet, go to the online site and find out how they acquire their plants. Booman Floral TC's their own VFT seeds, so there's not a chance a Booman Floral VFT is going to be a named variety. But just because the plant is not a named variety doesn't mean it will be any smaller or greener or less vigorous or ect, for named varieties were once just no name typical VFT's like the ones you get a Lowes, adopted then coined a name. Who knows, you might buy a no name VFT from Lowes and be lucky enough to get a VFT with notable characterstics. I know I've gotten VFT's from Lowes that tend to clump, tend to grow upright, is all green, gets really red traps, ect.
    i got 2 VFTs from walmart once... they looked exactly the same. the raps were hugging the ground and box shaped. they wer very red on the inside. so they both went outside...one took a odd turn and did some funky things. the traps went from red to colorless. the other was still red. the new leaves grew upright while the other one still was hugging the ground. just recently i noticed that this odd VFT has turned around and has pinkish traps...the other is still the same as it was except for the trap shape.

Another situation. another VFT bought from walmart and it was very red... very pretty really. the traps went normal color but its new offshoot has these dark red traps...inside and out.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's tough to tell, Typical Flytraps change dramatically throughout their growing cycles. Spring-low traps, summer-tall, upright leaves and the end of summer they fall back to low-lying traps with a deep-red mouth..
    I have gotten supossed "Typical" Fltraps from the New York Botanical Gardens that seem so far to stick to their growth patterns this season.
    Low-growing red-trap
    Tall leaf-grower
    They respectively made those traps throughout this seasons cycle and I picked them out for those traits hoping they'd continue growing that way. So far, they did. Next years growth will be the true test.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presto's post got me thinking... if you've seen CPs at a store before, you can always ask the store manager if they can special order some for you. This might not work so well for VFTs, which are cheap to produce and probably distributed in very large increments. However, way back before I got started on CPs, I saw a bunch of big, beautiful Nepenthes baskets on sale at the local garden center and absolutely had to have one. At 10 years old I didn't just carry around $25 in my pocket. So, I came back later after having saved up the money to buy one, but they were sold out by then. I left, disheartened, but the next time I visted I thought to ask the person working in the houseplants section when they would be getting more - they said they weren't planning to order more until the next year, but they could order a couple if I wanted to buy one. As a fickle young kid, I had already spent the $25 I'd saved to buy one the first time, so I said I'd come back some time when I had the cash, and then I guess I kind of forgot about it or something. But the point I'm trying to make is that garden centers are in touch with nurseries all the time and make orders regularly, so it's not hard to get most places to tack on a few plants specifically for you.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My VFT is from Big Lots..... is that bad? At least I gave him a good home...right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i found this vft at my local walmart

~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is this a walmart in canada? it looks amazing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast