What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are there any "uncommon" cultivars available?

Presto's post got me thinking... if you've seen CPs at a store before, you can always ask the store manager if they can special order some for you. This might not work so well for VFTs, which are cheap to produce and probably distributed in very large increments. However, way back before I got started on CPs, I saw a bunch of big, beautiful Nepenthes baskets on sale at the local garden center and absolutely had to have one. At 10 years old I didn't just carry around $25 in my pocket. So, I came back later after having saved up the money to buy one, but they were sold out by then. I left, disheartened, but the next time I visted I thought to ask the person working in the houseplants section when they would be getting more - they said they weren't planning to order more until the next year, but they could order a couple if I wanted to buy one. As a fickle young kid, I had already spent the $25 I'd saved to buy one the first time, so I said I'd come back some time when I had the cash, and then I guess I kind of forgot about it or something. But the point I'm trying to make is that garden centers are in touch with nurseries all the time and make orders regularly, so it's not hard to get most places to tack on a few plants specifically for you.
~Joe

My VFT is from Big Lots..... is that bad? At least I gave him a good home...right?

i found this vft at my local walmart

IMG_2254.jpg

is this a walmart in canada?
tounge.gif
it looks amazing.

no this was a walmart in philadelphia which is unusual cause around here you cant get much rare plants around.

Was that picture taken right after you got it home? It looks pretty spectacular for WalMart.

xvart.

this was right when i got it home. took it out of its little plastic thing. At the time there was like 200 or so and i was looking through and seen this one which was so big and colorful i had to get it. it was nothing like the others.

Back