User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: leaf cuttings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I want to propogate some new VFTs, and have read there are a variety of ways of producing new VFTs by leaf cutting.

I know the method where you simply pull the leaf off(the white part too) and simply lay it on some potting mix and wait.

I have heard about the water method, but still don't know how exactly it is done. I have read you "cut" the leaf of the leaf cutting
    and put it into a cup of water and wait for the VFTs to grow? I am not sure if I read it correctly but I am willing to know the 'water' method.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need to thoroughly rinse a test tube or container with bleach, rinse well and fill with distilled water. Plonk in your piece of rhizome and seal the top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also try live sphagnum if you want speed. I heard that of all the ways to take leaf cuttings, water propagation is the slowest, and when a plantlet does form, it will mature very slowly. Using live sphagnum will make cuttings root fast and grow well afterwards.
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the most success with what uglypho suggested - nestling the basal part of the leaf within the live LFS... and waiting s few weeks. i have gotten a cluster of new plants from the leaves.