Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My situation...

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but this time they are just crickets. and especially the right size for each plant...from the pet store. Doesn't digestion slow down due to dormancy?

All the typical traps which I fed (2 with crickets, 1 with a spider, 1 which the plant actually caught itself...[I woke up one day to see a closed trap with hairs sticking out of it]) all of them blackened. The plant is not dying as it has put out 4-5 more new leaves in this process. The new trap forming is actually the biggest I have seen on the typical yet.

The red dragon...I fed 3 of its traps with baby crickets. Earlier when I got the plant...I somehow noticed a black ant in my terrarium...don't know how it came there...I fed it to the red dragon....1 week later it opened back and there was NO TrACE of any exoskeleton....perfect meal for it. The plant was obviously growing better with the nutrients. Now with all the crickets...nearly all those traps have blackened and are looking like dying. However, newer traps are also being made and the biggest yet on the plant is now forming.

Now the 2 blade wonder...I have fed 3 of its traps as well. I noticed that one of the cricket traps has opened with the remains of the cricket exoskeleton. There is a lot of redness in the trap...this is making me think the redness signifies the ability of the plant to have functional digestive glands on the surface. it is like a perfect meal for it.

the B-52 is also growing but the trap in which I fed the cricket seems to be ok so far.

sorry if I am again going off topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's poor air movement in a terrarium, so bacteria getting in and blackening the traps is more likely.

Outside, traps turning black are usually a result of the trap dying of old age after its final meal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so I guess I'll just wait for Spring to see what happens. Hopefully they'll look as great as Scottychaos' VFT's. =)

Vraev: Yes digestion is less efficient during dormancy. In fact, the traps may stop closing all thogether after dormancy has started and lasted for a few weeks.

Consider this: In there natural environment, VFT's go dormant in late fall and through the winter (duh!). Insects also die and some (I believe) hibernate too. So, VFT's don't get to a chance to eat during the cold months, becasue there is nothing for them to eat. If your plants are starting to go into dormancy, then their digestion is going to slow down. So you may want to cease feeding them until the spring. Also, like Alexis metioned your traps turning black may just be because they are old. I remeber when I fed my biggest traps house flies: they would turn black and die too. Just becasue winter dormancy has begun doesn't mean that the all the traps and leaves will blacken and die, I have read that some make it throught the winter without any problems.
    Remember: Feeding your VFT should only been done seldomly when being grown in a terrarium to avoid loss of traps. You can feed them as much as you want, but IMO it's too risky. =)
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm...yeah...I guess I will kinda stop feeding my plants for now...atleast till I get enough traps. I think the typical 3 traps of which 2 were brand new...died probably becos of slow digestion and bigger prey than the trap can eat.

I don't know why but the red dragon whom I fed the right size crickets...the traps are dying as well.

All this in contrast to dear old two blade wonder... ..his trap opened today showing the dry cricket.

darn...well...I am again left with max of 3 good traps which are new.

If u notice my B 52 in the photo thread....there are soo many cut leaves. Some of these were becos of the two stink bugs which rotted the trap. I leaf is however still fine and providing sugars for the plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's kind of hard to tell, but the cricket size seem just perfect for the trap's size (the proportions are right). As for the red dragon traps, have they eaten before? (gone through an entire digestion process?) If so, then that is probably why they are blackening and dying off.

Just lay off on the feeding for a while and this will reduce the amount of blackening traps.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (vraev @ Oct. 29 2006,10:51)]....and regularly I keep checking the bulb to see if it hasn't turned black or any fungus has infected it.
    How dan when do we perform bulb-inspection?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (vraev @ Oct. 31 2006,8:21)]If u notice my B 52 in the photo thread....
    Huh? You have a 'Love Shack" 'Roam'ing around in there? I don't say any Kate Pierson or that Schneider dude!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (syx @ Nov. 06 2006,12:48)]
    Quote[/b] (vraev @ Oct. 29 2006,10:51)]....and regularly I keep checking the bulb to see if it hasn't turned black or any fungus has infected it.
    How dan when do we perform bulb-inspection?
    Around once in two weeks ..I just remove the bag....take out the plant....check if the moss is damp...also have a look around to see if there is any rot or fungus signs. Then wrap it back...bag it up ...try to keep as much air out..and yeah...back into the cooler.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast