Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My situation...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everyone!

I would like you guys to tell me whether or not there is still hope with 2 of my Venus Flytraps... I keep telling myself that they will come back stronger than ever in the spring, but I am growing afraid that this is just false hope...

I bought 2 of my VFT's back in April. I decided (without any knowledge of CP's or opinions on how I should grow them) to grow them in a terrarium. They grew well, and in about late August the new leaves were growing long and skinny and the traps started to decrease in size.

In late September, a member of TerraForums suggested that I pot my plants and place them outside for Winter dormancy. I knew my temps were close to ideal in order to grow them outside year-round, but I was hesitant to remove them from the terrarium and pot them because I was afraid it would add stress to plants that were already very weak. So, the member convinced me not to do the fridge method, and so I potted them and moved them outside.

Today I did a check up on them. I had to clip several blackening leaves. I gently moved the growing medium to check the rhizome, it was white and firm (the way it's supposed to be). I have noticed little growth (probably because of the colder temps). The leaves and traps look HORRIBLE!!! (skinny black leaves with 1cm unopened traps), but the rhizome seems healthy.

So... is there still hope for my plants to come back in the spring?

Thank you for your responses!
    -Joel from Southern California

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joosa, I swear! You're as bad as new momma with her first baby!
    (But then most of us are with out first CPs )

Anyhow, don't mess with it so much unless you plan to bare root it and stick it in the fridge. Generally, as long as the growth in the center of the plant looks green and healthy, the plant has a chance. That doesn't mean that a plant that has no growth in the center is a gonner either. Several people over the past few years have reported that their VFTs died back to the rhizome during the winter and came back the next spring.

Also, it's not that unusuall to have traps and leaves die back a little. This is a common occurance in VFTs when they are going dormant. It looks worse than it is mostly because the plants growth has also slowed down and the dead/dieing leaves aren't being replaced as quickly as they are when the plant is in full growth.

It is a good idea to keep the dead parts trimmed off to prevent fungus and to allow light and airflow to reach the plant and soil.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well...joosa...all I can say is that you are not alone. As you know..I am doing the fridge method for dormancy as well....and regularly I keep checking the bulb to see if it hasn't turned black or any fungus has infected it.

I guess all we can do is wait. I know its hard..but thats VFT's for us. We gotta follow their rules.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first year of dormancy I went through with my VFT they died back completely with nothing above ground and they came back in spring. This is my second year going though dormancy outside and I am wondering why I still have plant growth above ground. Don't worry if they don;t come back then it gives you a reason to get more next spring. I do believe they will come back though. Just keep the soil damp and not sitting in water and they should do fine. That is how I over wintered mine. I just left the pots outside and let them get water from the rain.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've still got nice rosettes, too. It's normal.

During dormancy, if there is no frost, they can retain a small, decumbent rosette

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what my VFTs look like at the end of the growing season..they are perfectly healthy!

yes, VFTs look like crap this time of year, all the old leaves are dying off, thats perfectly normal.

think of it this way..
    the individual leaves, with the traps, are expendable,
    they grow, live, and turn black die during the course of one growing season..its the *rhizome* that needs to stay alive all winter..not the leaves.
    as dormancy approaches, growth slows down and essentially stops (depending on the temp) so over the winter ALL the plant's leaves and traps are "old"...and they all LOOK old..because they are old.
    new healthy growth will appear in the spring.

Scot

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG! scot, your dormant VFT's look better than my spring VFT's . amazing

anyways back on topic..... blackening traps on feeding them....is this a sign of dormancy as well when digestion is slowing down??

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indigestion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast