What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea Muscipula: Photo thread

Thanks for the kind words vraev, it has taken several years for my mini-bog to mature to this point.

Here is the mini-bog at one year old, in the beginning I had a problem of the perlite seperating from the peat and floating to the top after a hard rain resulting in a big mess.
But as the bog matured and the mosses took hold the problem fixed itself.
Now it is pretty much problem free.
FWIW, I treat it with Trichoderma fungi and Bacillius bacteria monthly (Ampac Biotech and/or SubCulture products) (I treat all my plants)
and I use Bayer Advanced™ Rose & Flower systemic Insect Killer monthly as needed
earlyminibog.jpg

As far as I know it is a Green Dragon, or at least that is what I was told when I purchased it a few years back.

Cheers'
Av

yeah...it definately matches a green dragon. The reason I guessed red dragon is ONLY under INTENSE light does the red dragon stay completely red. Mine is washing out with every single trap it puts out. I remember that Rick at keehns carnivores said that it might become hard to distinguish both down the road...however when my red D arrived it was blood red.

BTW...the bog looks amazing. Do you have bigger pics of it....I would like to save some pics for refernce for when I want to plant my own sarr in the garden. :)

Ive got a few more that I consider to be of poor quality but if you want them... sure, just PM me your email

Here are some VFT's growing outside at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens

dscn0608.jpg

Cheers'
Av

woah man! That is surely insane. :D A sea of red. :D amazing looking red dragons or green dragons there. :D (It gets really hard to distinguish among the two) :D

I love those bog things so much but I have one question.. how do you keep them watered enough? A giant water tray? o.o?

Bogs are usually undrained, so just keep the water level up to a few inches below the surface.

LOL, a giant clay tray at that ;)

"Not" is exactly right,

In mine there are a couple holes poked in the side just below the surface level...
and the peat is deep enough that (the deper the better IMHO) I really dont have to worry about it watering it unless there has been no rain for more then a week,
but if the humidity is low I'll watch it a little closer...

Cheers'
Av

Ohhh cool... I think I'm gonna make one of those this summer.

I was thinking in terms of like a small pot with a tray, in the summer here they dry out and need to be refilled almost every day unless it's cloudy or it rains. I dunno how but I forgot how the size of it greatly effects that. x_x

Back