User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: venus fly trap "flask"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering how to 'unflask' or make the flytraps live in the outside conditions..
    I've never heard of this term, and I am willing to know..
    Thanks!
    alec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im guessing your talking about tissue culture? ive never done tissue culture nor do i know much about it. but unflasking as far as i know is taking the plant from its sterile controled environment and putting it into somthing of high humidity(like a greenhouse) this process will become greenhouse hardening off. the plants are then shipped in fresh growing media to stores around the world.
    i hope that helps
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hi Alec,

Plants propagated by Tissue Culture, are grown in flasks. The flask contains sterile media in which the plant(s) grow(s) until ready to be "hardened off". To harden off a deflasked plant, you rinse the sterile media off the plant and place it in the proper soil and keep the humidity high. The plants will also be sensitive to direct sunlight, so they need to be gradually hardened to that also. Over a period of time the humidity is lowered and the amount of sunlight is increased until the plants can handle whatever mother nature throws at them.

Not all plants will survive the process.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List