User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need Advice Please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi I have 1 vft (about 2 years old with 6 big traps, 4 average traps and 4 little traps)and by reading other people posts I have gathered that the best way to get new vft is to get the leaf with a bit of white rhizome attached to it to the bottom and plant it into a container with peat moss 60% and horticultare sand 40% and put same live sphagnum moss on top to speed up the process? Just a few points a need a hand is:

can you use dry sphagnum and by watering it it will turn alive?

and any other advice or pointers, my vft is growing on a window sill that gets a lot of light and its just start of spring in new zealand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thankyou,

[QUOTE]
    "to find new oppunitys you need the courage to lose sight of the shore"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (kiwigrower @ Nov. 13 2006,8:25)]can you use dry sphagnum and by watering it it will turn alive?
    I can help you with the first question: From what I have read, yes, if you water dry sphagnum, you will see new growth in time.

I do not have any experiance on taking leaf cuttings, so just wait for someone with experiance in this area to post, but from what I have read in previous posts, you have the right idea.

Good luck on growing new VFT's!
    -Joel from Southern California

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dried LFS will take awhile before it becomes living LFS. I have had success with just embedding the basal part in the live LFS, uncovered, by window sill light. It would probably do better if it were under fluorescent lights!

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen sphagnum grow from dead dry sphag...it takes at least 2-3 weeks till you notice tiny small green shoots coming off the dry sphagnum...keep in mind that yeah...the sphagnum has to be wet always. But, it takes at least 2-3 months before you will notice any good amount of moss and once it gets established it starts spreading like a weed..but just slower.