What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wat do u think about dunecraft?

I personally like the little red froggy in the second pic.

xvart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This rare and unusual collection of carnivorous plants will flourish for years in this specially designed terrarium with proper care.

Hmmm... They do not mention anything on lighting. Without proper light intensity (either from sunlight or artificial lighting), your plants will not "flourish for years". Plus the actual "terrarium" does not seem suitable to hold light fixtures, it will only aid in keeping in humidity, which is not enough for CP's.

It also mentions that it includes seed, which may not be ideal for a beginner.

Bottom line: This is not a good buy for a beginner. The dome shouldn't really be used after the plants have started to grow. If you want to give it a try, go ahead, but if you want to seriously go into CP's, buy plants individually from nursieries, reliable online vendors, or other stores like home depot, lowes, and wal-mart.

I say nay.

The instructions appear to be written by someone who went on the internet and copy and pasted different things. In different parts of instructions there are open contradictions in what conditions to give.

Furthermore, the seed situation is abysmal. All of the seeds come on one pack and are unlabled. So if you don't already know what each genus's seed looks like you wont know which ones need cold treatment.

If you're buying something like this because you're new to the game, it's actually sort of counterproductive. A person who already knows what they're doing can probably do more with one of these kits.

It's a very nice gift to give/receive because it's very thoughtful. However if you're giving it, be sure to be on call to give advice about real growing conditions and pre-sowing treatment.

i have that. it did have an assortment of varieties. i used my cp knowledge like i would to grow any cp. it did reccomend stratification though. it said plant the seeds in here and stick in you refridgerator for at least 4 weeks

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i have that. it did have an assortment of varieties. i used my cp knowledge like i would to grow any cp. it did reccomend stratification though. it said plant the seeds in here and stick in you refridgerator for at least 4 weeks

However, there's seeds in there that don't need it. I believe that was the case, however, it's been a long time since I checked.

Those kits are a rip-off and are very misleading. I think they should be taken off the market for misleading advertising.
For 25 bucks + s/h you could get full-grown versions of the plants in the kit or seeds for a fraction of the price.
Definitely a scam, you can tell the pic of the plants growing in the mini bog is photoshopped.

Lol, even that pic has crappy plants in it lmao.

...i think all of the seeds need stratification..i got the instruction booklet from online. there are D. intermedia, filiformis, and rotundifolia. S. alata, rubra, flava, purpurea, minor. Darlingtonia. and VFTs(which technically dont need a stratification...) thats all that there is.
Alex

I wouldn't get it unless you were in to growing CPs from seed. For one the plants will take 4 to 5 years to reach mature size. That makes it a poor choice for a beginner. Second, a Cobra Lily isn't my idea of a beginner plant unless you live in an area where they grow naturally. There are several experienced growers on the forum that have a struggle with them. Thirdly, you can get seeds for most of the other species on the trade forum for the cost of postage. Basically, I don't think it's much of a deal, especially for people who have access to CP forums.

i guess those r good to get if u have experience and patience
i was shockd when they said i had to leave n the fridge for 8 weeks

Don't bother. You'll receive dead seed that will not germinate.

r u serious?
did u buy that?
i wanna know where u can get the pitcher plant that they n pic

Here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]r u serious?
did u buy that?
i wanna know where u can get the pitcher plant that they n pic

Yep. Unless they a very large fridge to store all their packages, the seeds will lose viability in a few months at room temperature.

I got one of these for my birthday last year, and my sister bought one for my cousin at that same time.

We followed the directions, stratifying the seeds as per instructions. I left mine in the fridge for 4 weeks, my cousin about 8 weeks.

After about 6-8 weeks a Sarracenia germinated in mine, nothing else. From the shape of the leaves (it has put out three true leaves to date) it appears to be a Sarracenia minor.

Had I known better at the time, I would have put the kit under lights or put it on a window sill or outdoors an perhaps have had a better germination rate.

Up until a couple weeks ago, my cousin had no germinations but since I picked up "Savage Garden" and been re-reading the growing tips on various website I realize the importance of light. I had her relocate her kit to the sunniest area she has (indoors) and she reports some stuff has started sprouting.

The soil in the kit is a mix of finely milled sphagnum peat, perlite, pumice, sand and vermiculite (cover all the bases I guess). Half or more peat to the rest of the stuff.

Baby Sarracenia always tend to have S. minor-shaped hoods, but as they get older ( not sure of age) they will have more adult looking hoods. So don't get your hopes up yet.

-Ben

Ah, okay. The leaves are rather long and want to grow straight up so it's probably not S. purpurea.

From the seed coat (kidney-shaped, tan with pebbled texture) it is not Darlingtonia.

The other likely suspects according to Dunecraft would be: S. flava, S. rubra, or S. alata.

All sarracenia look the same for the first year, maybe two. Short, squat, tall or thin, they all look the same when young
smile.gif

Back