I subscribe to axiom that VFT's (and AmericanCP's with pitchers) should go outside in the sun and fun and garner as much photosynthetic energy as they possibly can. Trouble is, the critters enjoy the plants. Whether it be the squirrels or birds or aphids, something gets into them and chews them up or gnaws them to surface.
While I'm not thrilled at the idea of using a poison, I am willing to do so, if necessary. I have tried the concept of a cage, but it looks ugly. This past summer my VFT's & cobra lily spent the summer at the screened kitchen window sill, where they recovered from being ravaged. But I couldn't help think that the screen blocks some of the light that shines in. So now I have another idea, a small modification.
What say they still reside at a screened window sill, but have a fluorescent light a half foot above them? Anybody out there do this?