What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeds germinated

I got germination from my seeds in about two weeks. Faster then I thought I would. But here's the thing. Last year I had some seeds that germinated over the winter by the window. I put them outside and they died. I tried to put them in shade and then a little sun. Maybe I gave them too much sun too fast. How long should I keep them in my tarrarium? I think I read somewhere that someone had them grow for two years and them put them out? This also goes for the cobra lily seeds I have waiting to be sowed.

IMO, you have three major problems working against your seedlings:

1. "seeds that germinated over the winter by the window."
2. "How long should I keep them in my tarrarium?"
3. It is currently November.

1. VFT seeds should be germinated in the spring, outdoors, in full sunlight.
if they sprout in the sun, they can "handle" the sun..they wont burn, and will get all that bright direct sunlight they so need and crave.
indoors in the winter isnt enough light, its dark and cool.
very sub-par conditions all around.

2. terrarium= very bad for little seedlings.
not nearly enough light.
and lots of nasty molds that will smother and kill them in seconds.
its just a really bad environment all around.
too dark and too moldy.

3. Its November..the worst time of year to germinate VFT seedlings.
its winter...cold and no light.
they should germinate in the spring, outdoors, in bright direct sunlight. Then their first 6 months of life are spent in glorious hot sun, growing fast and strong..as oposed to spending their first 6 months in weak winter window light or a dark (compared to outdoors in summer) and fungus-ridden terrarium..barely clinging to life and growing weaker untul they die.

If you solve those three problems, you will probably have a much higher success rate with the seedlings.
gotta start them out strong..you are making things much harder for them right from the start..and seedlings are finicky enough as it is..dont work against them.

Scot

^I would have to agree with Scot. You have nature working against you, as he mentioned.

I do not have any experience in VFT seed germination and care, but from what I have read, you still have a chance at keeping them, alive. You must use lots and lots of light. Just pretend that you must simulate the sun, the more light, the better. Make sure it’s not hot light though; this will dry out the seedlings.
I also read that you must keep them in high humidity when growing in a terrarium. This is where the mold and fungus and gnats may decide to make their way into the terrarium, killing off the newborn plants, like Scott mentioned.
Lastly, the book mentioned that there is no set time when a young VFT can be moved out of its terrarium and into full sun. One must observe and see weather the plant is growing at a good pace, and is in good condition in order to be placed outside.

Wish you the best of luck with your seedlings!!

PS- Where/how did you acquire VFT seeds?? –Thanks!

Hay, Hellz here,
on the contrary, i find that germinating VFT under grow lights is a very good way of starting them off
as opposed to outside, they are in a controlled enviroment, allowing you to ensure optimal conditions. When i had baby VFT before, they were very vigorous, and all done under artificial light. the important thing for terraium germination is the the seed has to b very close to the light source, providing constant heat, as well as high air circulation, as to avoid mold
as scottychaos and joosa mentioned. although u do hafta watch out for moss and algae over growth, this can be prevented by using sterile peatmoss (i used out of the bag peat moss) and sandbox sand (also out of the bag and washed of minerals and the like), soaked in boiling hot RO water and left to cool, or simply to watch the seedlings. then when they germinate, allow for the seedlings to acclimate to a less humid eniviroment, and transfer them to where ever theyll be growoing for a while. when  growth stops for the first few couple of times, as mentiond in The Savage Garden by Peter D.Amato, a simple transplanting of the seedlings will trick them into growth again. when the seedlings are old enough, and cannot be tricked to grow anymore, you must then put them through true dormancy, however, you will have nice sized seedlings by then.
Hope this helps
Hellz

I have them under 2 23 watt C.F.'s. The seeds are a mix or regular, red dragon, and dente. The seedlings are about 2-3 weeks old right now and some are already deep red in color and have mutiple leaves/traps on each seed. I used a fungicide on all the plants inside my terrarium. So far they are very good looking. I just hope they don't burn to death when I try to bring them outside. I'm also not sure if I can say where I got the seeds but if you PM I'll let you know.

just on this old topic. After a month my VFT seeds have germinated. Now there are around 15-20 in there and I can already see small traps on a few.
tounge.gif

pic21rv1.jpg

Congratulations! You are now a parent of a whole bunch of little cute VFT's! Make sure to pass out some cigars  
oh.gif

Very cute baby plants vraev! Congratulations on your success!
clap9re.gif

I love the way the tiny little seed is still attached to the first leaf of each plant.
Lois

lol! thanx guys. yeah! They are sooo delicate. It will be interesting to see how they grow in time.
smile.gif

That's how mine looked. Now some are deep red and starting to clump with bigger traps.

hi, could you please tell me more about growing VFT from seeds? soon i will get seeds and have no idea what to do with them
rock.gif
i would realy appreciate step-by-step instructions on seeding, how long it takes them to germinate, etc.

Back