Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My situation now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm bringing them in tomarrow. Should I leave the snow on them and let it thaw out on it's own or take it off? Will it hurt them to be brought in a area above freezing that quick?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although, the move probably won't present a major problem (as long as the attic is cold), you should not risk moving your plants without a temp adjustment period. First make sure the attic IS cold (I talking 30-40F). If it is cold, move your plants in there, and yes, leave a bit of snow so the change in temps is gradual.

Remember: This is a temporary fix to the weather problem you are having, make sure you bring them outside once temps become "dormancy ideal" again...
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night in the attic the temps got down to 37 and came back up to 43 at about 11 a.m. If they stay in this range why should I bring them back outside even if the temps get up in the 30's - 40's which here will not happen for a while. The will be by a window in the attic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, leave 'em in the attic till the weather warms in the spring.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My VFTs stay outside all year 'round. They get frozen and snowed on. And they are fine. Temps here average 30s-40s, can get in the 20s often, teens sometimes, for periods of 1-2weeks at a time depending on what weather system is passing through. It can also bounce up into the 70s (last week was all high 60s/low 70s). So unless you are living on a frozen tundra I wouldn't worry too much.

If you are really worried though, then put them in the attic. Remember, light isn't an issue. Many people throw the bulbs into the fridge for 3 months.

My VFTs look pretty good right now considering. They look like they did in the summer. I also have a pot with two dews in it and they are fine too...making me wonder what species it is.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am in Milwaukee, WI and they call the packers field the frozen tundra so they are in the attic right now. The temps here will get into the negatives for a a couple days at a time and get up to a high in the single digits. I would leave them outside if I could but really shouldn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12