What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My situation now

Ok for the past couple weeks it's been warmer then it usuakky is here in Wisconsin. But on Thursday it got down to the 20's and now my plants are pretty much icecubes. Right now it's 20, feels like it's 11 with the windchil. But the thing is they are sitting under about 17 inces of snow. Yes that's right we just had a blizzard. And I got to drive an hour and a half to work 13 hours in it. I'm a mover by the way. I move furniture. In the blizzard. That sucked. But anyways about my plants. What would you do right now if you were me besides get a different job. My options are to move them to the attic where they will be my a south window, the shed where there is no windows and not much warmer the outside. I don't think it will be warmer at all. They would just be protected from the wind. The front hallway where they is a south and east window but like the shed as far as temperature, or the back hallway but I think that would be too warm. Here is the forcast for my area.

http://www.weather.com/weather....eclared

By the way I'm looking for a new job while I wait for everyone.

I heard that VFTs may actually still come back from being covered by full snow. And actually if u bother taking it out now while its in dormancy and change conditions...u might even kill the plant. MY opinion is leave it....let it be....unless u spent a lot of money on it. Vft's are like 6$ in walmart......dont worry....if the plant survives...u will see an amazing strong and happy VFT next summer since its outside and got dormancy the way a VFT needs it.

But do wait for other opinions too...In the meanwhile dont bother the plant. VFT's are fine frozen for a few days.

Yea I read they can take it for something up to 2 weeks. I have a couple sars in there too. A cobra lily. But it's mostly vft. I got a red piranha, a dente, a red dragon, and 2 big pots with something like 10 plants each. Last year I brought them in when they were frozen and thawed them out and they got all mushy. But that was ok because they were only the wal-mart typicals. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer for other people.

How cold does it get in the attic? If it's cold enough to support a dormancy, that's where I'd put em.

Capslock

Under 50 fir sure. I don't know what's the lowest though. Is there a too low?

They can take a temperature of about 20 degrees for about a week, who knows maybe even longer. I would say to remove the snow and leave it be. you could also try puting a covering over it too protect it from the wind. I can't guarantee it'll make, but hey, you learn from mistakes. If it dies, try something different next winter.

Good luck

I would remove them when possible and place them in the attic until temps in your area go back to ideal dormancy temps. Make sure though, that it does not get below freezing (~32F) for too long in there.

Your situation is similar to mine, except I'm being more careful. Nights have been getting down to 26F and the windchill drops temps by about 6-10 degrees (I live in a high desert area so we have frequent winds). My VFT's have been spending the past couple of days in my garage. I will put them outside once lows come back up to around 35-40F.

Good luck with your plants!

I'm bringing them in tomarrow. Should I leave the snow on them and let it thaw out on it's own or take it off? Will it hurt them to be brought in a area above freezing that quick?

Although, the move probably won't present a major problem (as long as the attic is cold), you should not risk moving your plants without a temp adjustment period. First make sure the attic IS cold (I talking 30-40F). If it is cold, move your plants in there, and yes, leave a bit of snow so the change in temps is gradual.

Remember: This is a temporary fix to the weather problem you are having, make sure you bring them outside once temps become "dormancy ideal" again...

Last night in the attic the temps got down to 37 and came back up to 43 at about 11 a.m. If they stay in this range why should I bring them back outside even if the temps get up in the 30's - 40's which here will not happen for a while. The will be by a window in the attic.

Yeah, leave 'em in the attic till the weather warms in the spring.

Capslock

My VFTs stay outside all year 'round. They get frozen and snowed on. And they are fine. Temps here average 30s-40s, can get in the 20s often, teens sometimes, for periods of 1-2weeks at a time depending on what weather system is passing through. It can also bounce up into the 70s (last week was all high 60s/low 70s). So unless you are living on a frozen tundra I wouldn't worry too much.

If you are really worried though, then put them in the attic. Remember, light isn't an issue. Many people throw the bulbs into the fridge for 3 months.

My VFTs look pretty good right now considering. They look like they did in the summer. I also have a pot with two dews in it and they are fine too...making me wonder what species it is.

Well I am in Milwaukee, WI and they call the packers field the frozen tundra so they are in the attic right now. The temps here will get into the negatives for a a couple days at a time and get up to a high in the single digits. I would leave them outside if I could but really shouldn't.

Back