Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: is it dormancy time yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me restate the grwoth rate question:
    Is your plant still growing as fast as it did in the summer? If so, dormancy has probably not been triggered. Have you moved the plant to a more shaded area? This also might help initiate dormancy.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no its not growin as fast as it used to n the summer but its still growing
    my vft probably gets a few hours sunlight cuz my area has a lot shade adn i dont wanna leave it at my neighbors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]no its not growin as fast as it used to n the summer but its still growing
    my vft probably gets a few hours sunlight cuz my area has a lot shade adn i dont wanna leave it at my neighbors
    Ok, no problem. Like Joe said:
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]It's not unusual for flytraps to grow new leaves throughout the fall in warmer climates. Your plant will probably slow down soon if it's outdoors
    So, it's probably entering dormancy. I wouldn't worry too much.

Good luck!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in eastern New Mexico, U.S, my Venus Flytraps are all entering dormancy now. A few weeks ago their growth began to slow a lot. Now I have them all on the floor in the "sun room/greenhouse" (a walled-in backyard patio) next to a floor-to-ceiling window, where the cold night air can wash over them and encourage them to sleep.

I don't water them frequently during dormancy--just enough for them to not dry out completely, but I do water them thoroughly when I water, then wait perhaps a week or two before watering them again. None of them stand in a tray of water.

Even though they are dormant, they still grow a little: smaller leaves, growing much more slowly, but still alive and photosynthesizing in the reduced winter sunlight.
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought my VFT was going dormant, since the nights here in LA started hitting the low 50's. Then we get a few weeks of warm weather pushing the 80's during the day. Now the crazy thing is putting up a flower stalk which could explain why the trap production was slowing down.

My other trap was very very sick. It had a smaller co-joint plant budding off the rhizome. That one turned black and died and starting getting fuzzy with mold/fungus. I tried treating the fuzz with H202 and ground cinnamon but the big plant kept getting worse looking. First the leaves would turn yellow around the edges and then the traps would turn black and eventually the whole leaf. This started happening to the new leaves too, with the trap bud kind of shrivelling up before even opening.

Figuring the plant was going to die no matter what I did I dug it up, carefully washed off the soil, peeled off the rotting parts of the rhizome/bulb (where the other plant was connected). What was left was still a nice white color and firm to the touch. I trimmed off most of the leaves, sprinkled it liberally with ground cinnamon, wrapped it in a moist paper towel, sealed in a baggy (dated) and threw it into the vegetable drawer of the fridge. It's doubtful if it will survive, much less miraculously recover in the spring.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he lives in Oxnard, CA....california or canada??
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oxnard is in California, just up the coast a ways from me. Maybe a 45 - 60 minute drive.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its raining here n oxnard and surprisingly mines still alive from the rain beatdowns

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast