Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: is it dormancy time yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]well, i don't have garage nor any of your mentioned places
    old pine needles neither. will crumpled old newspaper work the same way like mulch from needles?
    I think several items may work just fine for covering them in cold temperatures. Check this out:
    http://www.terraforums.com/ib312....t=21501
    I think the pictures are really helpful.

Also, like Not a Number mentioned, if you can't do that and if temperatures continue to be too low, then just place your VFT's in the fridge. Here is another link to a helpful fridge method post in case you need it (thanks Scot!):

http://www.terraforums.com/ib312....t=16597

Good luck!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you VERY MUCH!!!!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (KateKatinaite @ Dec. 12 2006,10:08)]old pine needles neither. will crumpled old newspaper work the same way like mulch from needles?
    I suppose if you have a paper shredder (the strip kind not cross-cut) fluffed up shredded newspaper would work fine. The idea is to create lots of tiny air spaces to act as insulation.

I recently got a package the guy had used finely strip shredded newspaper as the packing material and it worked fine - like excelsior from times past.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting idea about shredded paper! and after all, my colegues allready think that i'm crazy, so it wouldn' make any difference if i take shredded paper from the ofice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote[/b] ]interesting idea about shredded paper! and after all, my colegues allready think that i'm crazy, so it wouldn' make any difference if i take shredded paper from the ofice
    Just say you need to use it for your kitty litter; they'll understand...
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (joossa @ Dec. 12 2006,3:37)]
    Quote[/b] ]interesting idea about shredded paper! and after all, my colegues allready think that i'm crazy, so it wouldn' make any difference if i take shredded paper from the ofice
    Just say you need to use it for your kitty litter; they'll understand...
    i have 2 kitties... and that is one of the reasons, why they think i'm crazy

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're limited by not having a basement, attic, or a cold window sill, I think your best bet would be the afore-mentioned fridge method, espoused by Scottychaos. A couple winters ago I had my VFT's between the storm and inner windows of the kitchen. That wasn't working out too well, so I tried a screened in porch. That was okay until we had a cold snap. The soil froze. Horrified, I put the 2 two inch pots in the butter keeper, where they resided for the rest of December and January. In February, I brought them to work with me (environmental laboratory) and had them in a sample fridge. In March I put them on a cold and draft window sill, in my work area. In April I put them outside, where they soon flowered. Then they promptly got gnawed by critters.... but that's another legacy. And now I have them in our cold attic, by the window sill, where they just go dormant and wake up on their own.

Cute cats, BTW. Got any Maine Coon kittens?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, i decided just don't worry while winter is so warm like autumn (it's still +4 C outside and it's 20:30 o'clock, so it's late evening). our forecasters forecast warm winter till february! which is not common here... and then later i'll jusl see what to do
    what do you mean "Maine Coon kittens"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast