Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: is it dormancy time yet?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (KateKatinaite @ Dec. 13 2006,10:30)]what do you mean "Maine Coon kittens"
    He probably has a few kittens looking for a good home
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh no 2 cats in 1 room flat is enough but for homeless VFT i would find some space

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey guys......a bit on topic .....I had my VFT's put into the fridge at the beginning of october. is it ok if I can take them out in january that is 3 months right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The typical dormancy period is from Thanksgiving to Valentine's Day (this date range may shift depending on mother nature's mood, though), which is about 3 months. Remember, they start to slow down once temps start falling (mid fall) and they have a "start-up" period (when they start coming back to life) once temps start to get warmer (late winter-early spring).
    So, you could go a bit longer in the fridge if you wanted to; the rule of thumb is around 3 months of true dormancy. The only problem I can notice is that it will be January, so it WILL be cold, especially up in Canada. You'll just have to make sure they get heat in the terarium after a transition period (from the cold fridge to a warm terarium). You still are planning to grow them in there right?

Ok, I have to get back to studying.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine doesn't look sleepy

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (vraev @ Dec. 13 2006,8:31)]hey guys......a bit on topic .....I had my VFT's put into the fridge at the beginning of october. is it ok if I can take them out in january that is 3 months right
    I wish I could quantify the variables that go into dormancy, like saying that photoperiod would be 60% and temperature represents maybe 30%, while less water and a nonexistant food source being the rest.... but I can't. These plants respond to a variety of stimuli that work together. I would say, though, that photoperiod predominates over temps because while temps ebb and flow, photoperiod heads in one direction, then the other. Most of us have experienced the phenomenon of crocus popping up in December or January, due to a good thaw. And then when the temps freeze again, the plants adjust and they resume growth later on in the season.

Having said all that, once you remove the plants, it would be best to put them in a slightly warmer place, preferably a cold window sill. As one oughtn't move them from 70->40F(21->4 C), one shouldn't pull them out of the fridge and place them at room temp.

You could remove them in January, just make their transition as gradual as possible, if possible. I did mine in a circuitous fashion and they responded.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (KateKatinaite @ Dec. 13 2006,1:30)]well, i decided just don't worry while winter is so warm like autumn (it's still +4 C outside and it's 20:30 o'clock, so it's late evening). our forecasters forecast warm winter till february! which is not common here... and then later i'll jusl see what to do
    what do you mean "Maine Coon kittens"
    Maine Coon Cats Link

That's an American breed of cat that is characterized by long hair, tufted ears, sturdy legs, and sweet disposition, not unlike my 17 year old son!

Okay.... it's our favourite breed of cat.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great to know that guys. Thanks...I guess I will wait till jan end then. well...my terrarium actually goes from 60 F at night to 70F under lights at day...so I was planning of removing it at night,...then putting it in the terrarium directly.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast