What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is it dormancy time yet?

Like Jim said, "just make their transition as gradual as possible" with both temps and photoperiod.

Good luck!
smi98.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KateKatinaite @ Dec. 14 2006,2:22)]mine doesn't look sleepy
sad.gif

can you please tell me from the picture, is my plant prepared to sleep or not?
rock.gif

You really cannot look at a VFT (your picture) and tell whether it is ready to sleep (go dormant). The plant does not get ready to go into dormancy; it just slowly slips into it. There is nothing for the plant to actually get ready for, it's like a natural phase; no prep needed in the wild.

One thing you can look out for is a decrease in growth rate and a slow down in trap closure (a general overall slow-down, if you will). If the plant has been experiencing a reduction in photoperiod and temperature, the plant will start to slow down its growth. Then it will slip into dormancy. By this time many traps will no longer close or will close very slowly. Reduction in growth rate is basically what you have to go by to confirm if the plant is slipping into dormancy or is dormant.

There is the possibility that leaves and traps will blacken and die, but this does not happen to all VFT's during dormancy (some keep their green color and continue to look healthy through the winter); therefore, using this is not a reliable method to check if the plant is going into or is in its dormancy period.

thanx for thorough explanation
smile.gif
i thought that leaves and traps oblige to blacken and die
blush.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KateKatinaite @ Dec. 15 2006,10:58)]thanx for thorough explanation
smile.gif
i thought that leaves and traps oblige to blacken and die  
blush.gif
^Glad I could help.
oh.gif

Not all of the leaves necessarily die. It just tends to do that. I remember seeing developing leaves just stop developing and remaining green... and when they were brought out of dormancy, they resumed development.

You're right, the plant doesn't look sleepy. It looks like a plant pretty much out of mass-produced tissue culture. What you choose do with it will determine whether it will remain in growth mode or "slip into dormancy".

If the plant is fresh from the tissue culture plant factory/greenhouse you can probably skip dormancy for this year without ill effects, that will give you plenty of time to acclimatize the plant for next winter.

Back