Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Flytraps

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend. JMatt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first picture was taken just after I potted them up.
    I had removed all leaves for dormancy in my fridge.
    This picture goes with the rest. I unpotted them all, cleaned them and cut all leaves for winter storage in my fridgerator. I must say that I don't always go threw that much trouble prepareing them for dormancy. Too much work!! Usually every other year I unpot them. Right now that pot is pretty much the same, just in my basement where it is cool enough for dormancy. During the summer I just set the pot on the ground not messing with it, unless we were not getting any rain for a while I would water them. I didn't bother feeding them, they do pretty good on there own. I saw a yellow jacket flying around the pot once. Didn't take long, he was toast!
    If I can find the picture I will put it up here of a real close up shot of them.
    Oh by the way, the year before I did let them flower. It took twice as long for the plants to recover and look red. I only let them flower if I have the urge for seed, which is not very often.
    Later

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend. JMatt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some extra shots.
    The first two are of my big pot of flytraps. As far as I know they are all typical flytraps. Over the years I usually divide them to get more. The other pic is red dragon, big mouth,and some seedlings.
    Later

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    omg! omg! Holy crap! WOW.....WOOW......speechless.....I am without speech. ####! that's nice. WOW. WOW.....can I?? Could i?? wow.....holy mother of god!! WOW!

How long does it take in a plant's growth cycle when they start getting like 20-30 traps on a single plant like that. The maximum at which my plant is at is like 12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vraev, Its called a growth habit. Usually 6 to 10 leaves is the maximum. If you do get more leaves than that, then you are probably in for a suprise. More leaves in amounts like that mostly happens before a split. The rhizome of your VFT may split into 2 or even 3 plants. I have had true giant VFT's with 2 1/2 inch leaves (traps) and 14 inches across. Not common at all, but they do happen. Patience and perfect growing conditions usually cause their wonderful production of leaves and size is usually because of age. Some of my plants are 30+ years old.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (vraev @ Jan. 07 2007,11:42)]omg! omg! Holy crap! WOW.....WOOW......speechless.....I am without speech. ####! that's nice. WOW. WOW!
    What he said!

Those are some really nice looking pots of VFT's.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow....30 year old plants...now those you would never give away. lol! #### thats old!! My big B-52 which is around 3 years hardened in tissue culture and only 4 months old in soil is around 6 inches. across the leaves. The traps are around a inch and a half. I heard that these grow to 2 and a half inch traps too. SO I guess I only have to wait a few years to see this take off.

But wow.....how the heck can you buy VFT's (typicals or certain clones) in bulk like that. I can do that with dentate's since all walmarts, all canadian tire's, home depot's....every nursery here gets their VFT's from colsanti who have nothing else apart from that disgusting dentate. I really love all the other cultivars.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another question Mr. VFT expert..lol! I'm serious.....perhaps the only other VFT pics that are in the same league as these ones were xscd's legendary VFT pots. . How old are those plants. MAN!! they look terrific. and how many plants do you have. You know...I want to grow like 100 plants like that maybe 2 years from now. lol! I'm serious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vraev, I think Cook's has up to 60 typicals on his site. JMatt's plants are amazing and shows how beautiful "Typical" VFT's can get.
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast